Bi File Full

Joel J.J. Heber

My bi file is full......what to do .......truncate it ....I thought it was going to write overitself........im sure i red this somewhere....

Well it's full, what to do now...anyhelp is appreciated...
I think im going to truncate it....with proutil

Help

Joel:confused:

dkellgren

It will overwrite and, as long as you don't have any transactions to undo, truncating it is ok.

Do you have a multi-volume DB? If you do, it should just spill over into the variable lenght extent. It will then only overwrite if it goes over 2 gig.

I've not experienced this, but was recently told this by a Progress tech while trouble-shooting a unrelated problem.

Joel J.J. Heber

My BI file was only 203 megs.....it indicated 198 megs when I rana huge index for a table.

I had to re-run my index since it was on our development database and it was erased the next day.

The DB grew since then and the BI went to 203 and stoped my index......then I couldn't start the DB anymore

As in Start the server.......

so I had 2 choices, truncate it ......which I tried....and it indicated it couln't because it wasn't on the server.

or enlarge it......my boss said no.

So

rm ./'databasename'.db
rm ./'bifile'.bi

seeya

Then I prostrct and procopy to create an empty dn, and ran the nightly routine to copy the info from the main server.

Thanks for the help buddy

oh and it is multi volume 14 gig to be exact.....

Joel