Backup

RealHeavyDude

That only happens with online backups.

The switch happens automatically because the last update time stamp that is recorded in the database must match the one recorded in the after image. When you roll an after image extent forward against a database the time stamp in the after image is verified against the one recorded in the database ( which you would have restored from your backup in the first place of course ) and if the don't match exactly the roll forward fails. If they don't match there is no way to roll the after image forward. Full Stop.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

Usually, when you do an offline backup you switch after image off before starting the backup and switch it on immediately after.

Arunselvan

If i turn off before taking offline backup and if i turn it on immediately after, would that time stamp doesn't make any problem while i am rolling my after image file back?????

RealHeavyDude

Exactly. You disable after imaging immediately before the offline backup starts and enable it immediately after the offline backup has finished. That way you ensure that the after image sequence starts new with every offline backup.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I don't like that. There is no real benefit to it other than starting with "1".

I prefer to always leave AI turned on.

That way if your backup media turns out to be no good you can just go back to the one before it and start there. I've had to go back almost a full year to get a good backup and was glad that I had all of the ai files ready to go (and properly numbered).