ASP and WebSpeed

rhys

Hi there. I am hoping someone can help me.

I have been hired to build a web front-end to an existing (very small) Progress application. The current application was built in Progress, with an 8.2a backend.

The technical environment for the web server is Windows 2000 / ASP. The database server is on a remote NT 4 machine. We also have a WebSpeed transaction server on a separate machine, which is able to talk directly to the Progress RDBMS.

Some of the possibilities are:

1. Do this entirely in WebSpeed.
2. Do the front-end in ASP, and connect over ODBC (through a DSN) to Progress 8.2a, using a Merant or OpenLink driver.
3. Do it in ASP, but connect by using WSASP.dll to connect to the WebSpeed transaction server, and have that execute the queries against Progress.

The major issue is: can WebSpeed execute the same files that the regular Progress client does? If so, I can re-use the existing files from the client-server app, which have already been written to handle inserts and queries in the correct way. If not, I have to re-write all the SQL and pursue option 2.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be extremely grateful to hear them.

Regards,

Rhys Weekley

B

BMcIntyre3

Using old ChUI code on the Web

We have a tool, built on WebSpeed, called eFramework that we have used to do exactly this. We can take old ChUI code and migrate it to the Web with little re-writing. And in fact, we have developed a Source Code Converter program that does most of the conversion automatically.

At the same time, we automatically add full context and session management, user and data-access security, language management, etc. at the same time.

Take a look at our website for more details, and if you would like a demo of applications done this way, give me a call.

Bruce M

Message imported from PEG email list

U

Unregistered

Perhaps this is another webspeed Progress related product example with expired outdated links