appbuilder vs eclipse

I have been using appbuilder for over a year now.

Does it make sense to switch to eclipse? When we first looked into it it seemed like it was not quite ready for "prime time".

What are the advantages to Progress's eclipse over appbuilder? What disadvantages are there? How big of a deal is it to switch?

Thanks,
Tom

I'm also interested in people's opinions on this subject.

In addition, does anyone do any SmartObject (ADM2) development via the eclipse ADE?

Ta,

Andy.

DevTeam

I tried a limited version for 30 days, when the 10.1B was released. It was quite interesting to get syntax highlighting, completion and debugging. But I do not develop via appbuilder, so maybe those features are'nt new to you.

Debugging was also made quite easier. And maybe the fact of using Eclipse can make it possible to use SVN plugins for example.

However I had issues with the fact my computer's CPU is a P4 HT, which seems to imply crashes when using the completion.

Maybe 10.1C has brought some interesting changes !

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Maybe 10.1C has brought some interesting changes !

Not to mention 10.2A! Yes, it gets better with each release. There have been a series of recent webinars on how to use OEA. Check out PSDN for copies, including the recent one on third party plugins.

For now, if you are doing AppBuilder things, you might still want to keep using it for the style. Myself, I never cared for it, so OEA is better.