Question AppBuilder 32K section editor limit.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
HI guys.

For the last 3 days, I'm getting the classic error/warning message "You are about to undo past previous save..." because my Code Section Editor is hitting the limit of 32k. No problem, just refactor the code to other internal procedures. No biggy. I'll just reorganize the code into more effective manner.
1533775093052.png

However, it does not matter how much I reduce the code I'm still getting this error. The code section is now down to 20KB. It's like as if the Code Section Editor, is not even checking the size of the section and just a assume that it's too big.

To reduce the code footprint I'm using the Procedure Editor and reopening the structured procedure file
(.p) in the AppBuiler, but I just can't get rid of this error ???

I've tried close & re-opened the OpenEdge AppBuiler Session.

Any ideas:

OE 11.6.3 32bit

Last edited:

Cecil

Follow up question...and I don't think I have come across this before. But does that AppBuilder have an absolute limit on file size?

RealHeavyDude

To your follow up question: I think that it does either have a limit in file size or the number of internal procedures / functions you can have.

As far as I can remember - back in the dark ages of ADM2 and Dynamics - I heard a quote from a developer of the frame work that they had to split up "class" procedures due to the fact that they did hit a limit. I can't remember which limit it was.

The internals of the AppBuilder haven't been changed / enhanced for a very, very, very long time. Around 2006 I heard somebody in Bedford say that it still contained the code for Motif ( GUI specification used on X-windows on Unix, and, on VAX/VMS which I used to work on in the 1990s ) and that's why we still have a slider widget which had no pendant in Windows ...

Cecil

More fact-finding. So, I found out the limit for the 'Code Section Editor' is, in fact, 20,000~2 characters and not the 32K I was to believe.

ForEachInvoiceDelete

If you ever used a mix of procedure editor and appbuilder this can get really annoying.

Editing something past appbuilder limits in procedure editor without realising, only to open it in appbuilder later for it to go mental at you.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I feel a comment about procedures that are 20k long struggling to escape... and then I took a look at some of my own code. Time to move along. Nothing to see here.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
So glad to be past the days of having to pack really long procedures into a .i just so you could carry on using AppBuilder the lazy way!

Cecil

Did anybody else know about the 20,000 character limit in the AppBuilder's 'Code Section Editor'? It was such a rare situation for me that always thought that it was a 32K limit (hence the title). Plus, I found no documentation/kbase about the 20,000 character limit.

RealHeavyDude

I was totally aware of the limit - only that I thought it was 32K. I've never checked actually where it really was. But, in the past - the dark ages - I was sometimes forced to put the offending code into a separate include file and edit that with the procedure editor. As I said, it was different times back then ...

Osborne

Did anybody else know about the 20,000 character limit in the AppBuilder's 'Code Section Editor'? It was such a rare situation for me that always thought that it was a 32K limit (hence the title). Plus, I found no documentation/kbase about the 20,000 character limit.
I always thought it was 32K as indicated by this site:
Progress KB - Opening a file in the AppBuilder generates error unable to update _trg field( Field. (142)).
But according to this site it is 28,240 characters:
Progress KB - What is the limit of characters within the section editor of the AppBuilder?

Cecil

W

Well, from my investigation I can tell you that I could not get past 20,000 characters. If I did the editor would automatically delete the last two characters.
I copied the code (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) and pasted it into Notepad++, which told me the total character count and that is where I got the figure 20,000 from.

It does seem the two KB articles are conflicting.