Ai files grow to fast

gerie

At the moment I can't effectively stop a database.
So I used rfutil db -C aimage aioff to stop the after imaginge proces.
The I made an online backup.
I moved a lot of the ai files to an other hard drive. But left about a 20 per database there.
But now when I want to begin after imaging again (rfutil db -C ainage begin), I get the error that the database is in multi-user mode.

How do I get the after imaging started again, what am I doing wrong?

taqvia

Who suggested you to switch off the AI?
You have missed data from the time you turned off your AI. You could have simply moved all the filled extents to a different location by copying it and marking the extent as empty.

You need to stop the DB to start the AI again Thing that you never wanted to do.

Meanwhile How many AI extents do you have.

Arshad

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Why do you say that the ai files are growing too fast?

You must manage the ai extents with scripts or enable the ai archiver to do it for you.

Why do you have 20 (or more) ai files? I get the feeling that you are using small fixed length extents. Don't do that. Use all variable length extents unless you have a very good reason not to (that would be a reason based on empirical evidence, not the vague and unsupported FUD in the documentation).

What version of Progress?

If you have the aioff option then you can probably also restart ai with a "probkup online dbname bkupfile enableai". But enableai may have been introduced a release or so after aioff.

gerie

Well an increasement of 5 gig per day is pretty fast imo. I'm working in an enviroment that is badly configurated. Due to that I can't stop the database, I will never get it correctly up and running again. But the amount of ai files became such a problem that progress was about to shut down.
So I had everyone out last night to try and make some space free. In that progress I stoped ai. I don't know if that was a good decission or not, but I had to make a judgement call there. Well now we are running without ai files and I just pray we don't get a crash before I can redirect and reinstall everything.

gerie

Oh btw I work with progress 10.1C.
Currently I replaced about 65 gig ai files. Oh and there are 3 extents, I think the amount of files is somewhere between 200 and 300.
And when I was stopping the ai proces yesterday, nobody was working in the database.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
3 extents is too few.

But it does sound like you're managing them at least to the point of archiving them somewhere. You do not, however, seem to have a purge process in place.

From the sounds of things you need help getting your system under control and running smoothly. And perhaps some training. You might want to consider bringing in a consultant ;)

gerie

3 extents is too few.

But it does sound like you're managing them at least to the point of archiving them somewhere. You do not, however, seem to have a purge process in place.

From the sounds of things you need help getting your system under control and running smoothly. And perhaps some training. You might want to consider bringing in a consultant ;)

Lol thanx, I'm in constant progress training here since the last half year. ;p And while training I everytime realize my lack of knowledge here.
From what I learned during training, I have to come to the conclusion that the consultants who installed the current configuration didn't do a job worth mentioning. So now I know I want to implement things in a different way. I'm making the plans right now to transfer Progress 9 to another server and to reinstall progress 10. To relocate the ai files to an other server and recreate the .st files. To make sure I can make an offline backup every now and then. And to get all the tools up and running, like for instance the explorer tool, which still can't be started. etcetera. So I'm getting a clear picture of the staps I have to follow and the actions I have to make. Next week on friday, the company is closed and all the servers will be available for me to make some adjustments.
in the meanwhile, i just hope nothing goes wrong. ;)

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Perhaps we should change the recommendation to "bring in a *competant* consultant".