A new Forum

Do you need this new forum?

• a:3:{i:12;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:12;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"85157";s:5:"title";s:32:"Yes, how we lived

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

tdi

Progress Fan
Hy there

I was thinking (god bless) ;)

Don't you think there is missing one forum?

I guess there sould be a forum where you talk about documentation, internal as external, of the systems we develop.
It would include tips on help systems, templates for writing manuals, diagraming tools (does anybody makes dfd's, or erd's, like me?) what about tools to get the datadict on paper?

What do you think?

livetocode

What I would like is an online auto updateable application wide cross reference tool. Progress and all of the other 3rd parties that have ever tried have fallen well short of this potentially helpful information that could immediately show the impact of any planned changes to the application.

:)

tdi

Progress Fan
What i use for x-referencing and see extent of field chages, if i understood what are you talking about, is roundtable.

Does any important percentage of the talkers use it for developing/maintainig systems?

Sometimes i think that i have a very big benefit by using it...

Octavio

livetocode

Progress Talk previously had a RoundTable forum but that was a in the past, if I am not mistaken.

At my last position we had used it with an application that had over 9,000 separate programs, 6 connected databases and 5 programmers constantly making changes.

Roundtable was never really understood or used properly, whatever the case, I do remember we couldn't rely upon Roundtable for one reason or another and it fell by the wayside.

I am not saying there was anything wrong functionally with RoundTable. I believe we needed a full time person (which never happen) to manage RoundTable and the constant flow of source code changes being made.

In conclusion - RoundTable came closest to providing an application wide XREF tool.