XCODE utility

rzr

Hello All,

Has anyone used XCODE utility to encode your source files? Is so, could you let me know if there is any restriction on the lenght of source file name? We use XCODE here and it won't accept anything over 8 character in the filename.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I just did one with 11 chars (13 counting the ".p"). No issues.

10.2B but I don't recall ever having a problem with any lesser release.

rzr

I'm on 10.2A, i've been told that here they have been using XCODE since version 8.... and it has always been 8 character restriction on file name. Not sure why..but it still contiues to be 8 even on 10,2A; making it very hard to give meaningful names to programs. Should I update / download the latest XCODE (if there is one available) ?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
XCODE has been around a lot longer than that. It dates back to at least v6 and, I vaguely recall, maybe even v4.

I do not recall ever running into a file length limitation. But it turns out that, according to P6298, older versions of XCODE did have such a limit. So it sounds like you're using an ancient, obsolete and unsupported copy of XCOPY rather than the 10.X version. My guess is that someone has been copying their old copy of it forward for a very long time.

So, yes, upgrading would probably be a good thing.

rzr

Okay, the new XCODE still does'nt seem to work for program names > 8 char's. I used the XCODE I found in C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin. (I am on 10.2A , GUI)

Here's what I got when I ran the XCODE :
Code:
c:\SourceDir>xcode -d c:\SourceDir\SourceDir-XCode   MyProgramName.p
xcoding:

*** MyProgramname.p
*** openfil could not open ***

And here's the ouput when I change the name to < 8 characters.

Code:
c:\SourceDir>xcode -d c:\SourceDir\SourceDir-XCode prog.p
xcoding:

*** prog.p

And the Xcoded file was correctly created in C:\SourceDir\SourceDir-XCode directory.

Am I still missing something?

jamesmc

Just to mention the obvious... have you confirmed that the file you are trying to XCODE is present in the folder you are currently in and is spelt correctly and you are not missing any spaces in the name? Try a DIR and see if you can spot the file in the list.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Thinking this might be a Windows "feature" I just gave it a try under Windows. (Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit to be exact...)

Long file names work fine for me. (OE 10.2B)

My xcode.exe is 36,864 bytes and has a timestamp of 12/14/2009 05:46 PM

GregTomkins

v9 (which still, 10 years later, resists our attempts to upgrade away from it) definitely had a 8-character limitation. v10 definitely does not.

rzr

The file name & directory are correct. My xcode.exe is 36868 bytes too with 8/12/2009 5:22 AM as timestamp.

rzr

Okay.. I installed 10.2A on another machine, and copied the xcode back to my machine and it looks good now. There is no restriction of lenght of filename anymore.
No idea what changed or which version of xcode i had before in the bin. The file size and timestamp seem to be same on the newly copied xcode as well.
thanks all.