Windows VS Linux Progress administration

kaldrouby

Hello,
I am new to the progress world, and at the same time am almost new to the linux world. i have finished my linux training recently "red hat training" and now i feel a bit better about my self dealing with linux side. i also been shadowing our current progress "guru" at work so you can say that am at a level that i can setup a database from A to Z but very basic setup that includes (services, file configs and starting stopping the database along with backup and restore) the plan is to get me to the support level by December hopefully.

i have couple questions after that long introduction is, I am going to attend training at BravePoint next month and i wonder if i selected the correct place.
Also is there's a real huge different between administrating progress on linux or windows ? or is the same other than the OS different ?

Thanks !

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
i have couple questions after that long introduction is, I am going to attend training at BravePoint next month and i wonder if i selected the correct place.
I haven't trained with them, but I do have several of their DBA books. They have a lot of knowledgeable staff and a good reputation in the industry. You should inquire about their books while you're there.

Also is there's a real huge different between administrating progress on linux or windows ? or is the same other than the OS different ?
Whether the difference is "huge" is a matter of opinion, and of how you define huge. Certainly there are differences between the two, and each admin has his or her preferences.

In terms of carrying out basic administrative tasks, you'll be doing the same things and typing the same commands in either OS. To become a valuable and capable DBA you do need to understand how the underlying platform functions, as there are varying limitations, capabilities, and Progress bugs between one platform and another.

Get to know the Progress Knowledge Base, and subscribe to PANS so you will be alerted daily to new and updated KB articles.

Look into the West Michigan Progress Users Group. Try to attend Progress industry conferences like PUG Challenge Americas.