Windows Ribbon Framework

ruan007

Has anyone tried the Windows Ribbon Framework APIs to create Ribbon style menu and toolbars in Progress, say 10.2B?

I know the APIs require callback functions that Progress doesnt' support. Would like to know if it's possible to make such an attempt (implement the APIs in Progress).

Thanks

RealHeavyDude

As you're mentioning OE 10.2B you should be able to use the advanced GUI for .NET (which is a Progress license) that allows you build native .NET UIs within the OpenEdge Architect.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

ruan007

I don't think the Ribbon style menu can be achieved directly with the native .Net UI controls in 10.2B. We may still need a wrapper class to implement the Win32 ribbon framework APIs, which still requires callback events. Other direct ways of implementing the ribbon UIs are MFC and WPF that are not related to Progress.

Now, everyone is going the ribbon way, Progress always seems to be a step behind in the UI world :D.

ruan007

After many searches, I finally found a open source project that wraps Windows Ribbon Framework APIs into a manage .NET class. For those who are interested in exploring the WRF, you can download the class at http://windowsribbon.codeplex.com/, you will also need windows 7 SDK.

To get you started, add the .NET dll to your assemblies.xml, create a ABL form that inherits from the .NET class, define the ribbion markup xml.

ribbonmenu2.jpg
ribbonmenu.jpg