Wierd connection issue

I have seme weird behavior with local vs. ODBC connections to my OE 10.1C database.

When we updated to OE we had to add a user to the database for an ODBC connection. Previously we were using OpenLink, which did not require us to have a user login. This caused us quite a bit of trouble as we were getting the user id from the OS and that stopped occurring. We could no longer identify users to disconnect from hung sessions. We did some hocus-pocus with the OS to grab user name from the process id and all was fine.

One of the things that is worth noting is that logging into the database locally would result in the login screen apearing. You could cancel to get around this and still be able to function.

Fast-forward to last week. I was in the progress editor and was making a database connection and received a memory violation that kicked me out of the database. When I logged back in I no longer got the login window.

Now, the user name is once again coming from the OS.
????!!!!!

Any idease?

This leads me to a more confused state.

How did this happen?
How come my existing ODBC client can still connect using the missing _User account?
Is some process out there still connected that will one day end and I will, all of a sudden have no ODBC connectivity?

RealHeavyDude

The reason for that being that the SQL users are not stored in the _User table. The _User table, apart from on exception in the user SYSPROGRESS, is only used in the 4GL engine. If you want to be able to login with a user that exists in the _User via the SQL engine you must grant this user privileges. In doing so it gets created for the SQL engine and remains there until you revoke it's privileges.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.