why java 1.3 over 1.4 progress 9.1E

remcoCaesar

Progress Guru,

Can any one tell me why I have to install sun java 1.3 (unsupported) over java 1.4.2 what kind of libraries uses Progress 9.1E that the installation of 1.3 is needed for.

best regard,

Remco

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Progress can be very picky with java versions.
9.1E is already very old, so you can't expect Progress to support a java version which wasn't there when the product was made.
With OE 10.2a you need java5.

Casper.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You don't necessarily have to replace Java 1.4 with 1.3 -- you should be able to have both installed.

What OS and what Progress products are you using? If this is a plain old 4GL application running without any SQL-92 access you might not need Java at all.

remcoCaesar

the point is we are busy with to connect a old progress application with sonicmq. But the old progress application runs on a progress 9.1E installatie with java 1.3. On that specific server the 1.4 installation was replaced with a 1.3 installation.
With other customers we al have 1.4 java installations with progress 9.1E appservers and databases. So my question to the progress guru's was why does this specific server needed java 1.3 in stead of java 1.4 the only explanation is that it said in the progress manual that 1.3 java is the one to be installed.
In a other article on this forum a person had also a java 1.4 installed on his redhat installation and he must, should have the java 1.3 but what I know is that de SonicMQ adapter doesn't work with java 1.3 so why the choice 1.3 over 1.4 if some of the Programs Progress delivered with his databases and appservers isn't working under this version of java.

best regards,

Remco

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken then In V9 java is only used for adminserver/nameserver/appserver, sql acces and webspeed (which is appserver). If you don't use any of these then I expect no problems running without java (or another version). If you start the database without java then you get a warning message but the database starts up and is accesible.

Casper.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If your question is: "Why did someone who isn't available to answer install Java 1.3 on one of our Progress 9.1E servers when we have Java 1.4 running just fine on all the rest (that also run Progress 9.1E)?" then the answer is: "I don't know."

If the question is: "Why do the Progress 9.1E installation instructions specify Java 1.3?" then the answer is probably "Because Progress version 9.1E is a revision of Progress 9.1 which was first released almost 10 years ago when Java 1.3 was on the cutting edge."

If the question is: "Will Java 1.4 work with Progress 9.1E?" then the answer is: "Probably, it seems to be working with your other installs and, so far as I can remember it has always worked for me. But, as Casper pointed out, Progress is sometimes very picky about the Java API and a previously unknown problem could occur. On the other hand it doesn't sound like you are using the components of Progress which are especially sensitive to Java version."

If the question is something else you'll have to clarify and we can try to help. But keep in mind that Progress 9 is ancient, obsolete and almost completely unsupported (9.1E is sort of "supported") and that we are mostly responding from memory not from having live production systems that we can whip off a test case on.