Why is 2 Local Database pointing to same min.r

slh

Hi,

I have created 2 local databases, 2 sets of working files (*.p/ *.w) and compiled file (*.r), shortcut icon to run both databases.

To differentiate betwwen 2 files, I create 2 different login image.

However when I open both shortcut keys it pointed to same login screen!

Shortcut keys to local db:
1."C:\Program Files\Progress\bin\prowin32.exe" -db "C:\slhnhm\slhnhm.db" -inp 32000 -p main.r

2."C:\Program Files\Progress\bin\prowin32.exe" -db "C:\MyDB\mydb.db" -inp 32000 -p main.r

Does it mean that when I update/delete/edit records from second db it still pointing to first one ?

RealHeavyDude

You should check the PROPATH for both sessions - I bet they are the same. The code is picked up from the file system and therefore it is crucial to have the correct directories in your PROPATH which specifies the directories from which Progress will pick up the programs.

I don't see any difference in your two commands beside different databases to connect to. If there is no definition of the environment variable PROPATH in your scripts then both will use the same. This is not good practice - instead you should use an ini file and point to it with the -ininame parameter.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

slh

You should check the PROPATH for both sessions - I bet they are the same. The code is picked up from the file system and therefore it is crucial to have the correct directories in your PROPATH which specifies the directories from which Progress will pick up the programs.

I don't see any difference in your two commands beside different databases to connect to. If there is no definition of the environment variable PROPATH in your scripts then both will use the same. This is not good practice - instead you should use an ini file and point to it with the -ininame parameter.

Hey dude,

1.Any idea how do I set propath?

2.I realised you are right as both 2 local db pointing to same paramater, in the case I manually copy the pf files to another directory, however how should I redirect second db to use second *.pf file (that I manually copied to another directory) ?

RealHeavyDude

For the record: With one exception a database is not pointing to any program. The one exception are the database triggers defined in the data dictionary.

You have several options to set the PROPATH:

• You can define an environment variable of that name in your script.
  • You can define it in the INI - for that you need to know some things:
    • Which INI is used, is it picked up from the registry or is it picked up from a file:
      • During installation the contents of the progress.ini file located in the installation directory is loaded into the registry. If you don't specify otherwise this INI is automatically used.
      • If you specify the -basekey "INI" parameter you direct Progress to pick up a file instead and it will pick up the first occurrence of the progress.ini found in the PROPATH - most likely this would be the one in the installation directory.
      • If you specificy the -ininame <yourPath><yourFile.ini> you can direct Progress to pick up that particular file.
For a starter I would recommend you to copy the progress.ini file from the installation directory to two different locations, rename and edit their contents accordingly. Then you can specify -basekey "INI" -ininame <yourPath><yourFile.ini> the shortcuts.

slh

For the record: With one exception a database is not pointing to any program. The one exception are the database triggers defined in the data dictionary.

You have several options to set the PROPATH:

• You can define an environment variable of that name in your script.
  • You can define it in the INI - for that you need to know some things:
    • Which INI is used, is it picked up from the registry or is it picked up from a file:
      • During installation the contents of the progress.ini file located in the installation directory is loaded into the registry. If you don't specify otherwise this INI is automatically used.
      • If you specify the -basekey "INI" parameter you direct Progress to pick up a file instead and it will pick up the first occurrence of the progress.ini found in the PROPATH - most likely this would be the one in the installation directory.
      • If you specificy the -ininame <yourPath><yourFile.ini> you can direct Progress to pick up that particular file.

For a starter I would recommend you to copy the progress.ini file from the installation directory to two different locations, rename and edit their contents accordingly. Then you can specify -basekey "INI" -ininame <yourPath><yourFile.ini> the shortcuts.

Hi RealHeavyDude,

Guess what, that's exactly how I got it works. I copy the *.ini file to reside with my *.w folder, and add basekey into the shortcut icon>> properties.

In addition, I did some modifications to the pf files as well.

Hope someone will benefit from it down the road.

Cheers!