Whatever happened to DBD::Progress?

Dean Varney

Perl module question.

Does anyone know what's happened to development of DBD::progress? Searches of CPAN come up empty and the last newsgroup posting is dated October 2000. I can't find anything in the PEG archives that helps out either. I tried emailing the chap who announced the development of the module (Neil Lunz) but never received a reply.

In case you don't know Perl, DBD::progress is the module that would allow database connectivity from Perl through Perl's DBI (DataBase Interface).

Thanks in advance,
Dean

memmerto

Re: Whatever happened to DBD::progress

Well, since I was the one with the aspirations of developing DBD::progress, I can fill in the blanks. (I've done this before on the newsgroups, but apparently that thread never gets picked up by the search engines.)

The company I was working for in 2000 took a while to obtain a copy of Progress v8 with the SQL engine and C/SQL interface libraries -- I think we got one as part of our involvement with the ASPEN program.

By time this happened, the company had come upon hard times and was in the process of downsizing; I sought out better opportunities and left.

For those looking to take over from where I stopped, it's likely just as easy to start from scratch. I never got much more than a basic framework completed, and was not even to the point of being able to connect to a database.

A tip of the hat goes to anyone who choses to implement this for the community -- and apologies for getting all of your hopes up back in 2000.

--
Matt Emmerton