What will be new in 11.0

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
[SIZE=+1]There have been various announcements about what is coming in 11.0 in December, but we got a bit more thorough a list at PUG Challenge Americas, so I thought I would do a brief rundown for those who *unfortunately* couldn't be there.

The *biggie*, of course, is the multi-tenant database. This should be exciting to SaaS and other cloud-oriented providers who don't already have some form of tenancy already in their database. It may be exciting to companies who have divisions or other reporting units where there is a need for strong separation. In this initial release, authentication makes one two kinds of user. A regular user can only see data in the tenant against which they have authenticated. A super user can see all of the data. An individual table can be either multi-tenant or shared, as can sequences. Thus, one can easily set up such that either all customers will have overlapping customer numbers or where a customer number is unique to a tenant. Tables like state codes can be shared. Schema is shared. Those who are not using multitenancy won't notice any difference because their data will be in an area associated with the unknown tenant. This area is also used for migrating data when multitenancy is being used.

Other language features
* Unified 32 and 64 bit R code
* ABL support for multitenancy
* OO interface inheritance
* OO dynamic properties
* Enhancements to PDS<=>XML
* Improved TT diagostics including VSTs and logging
* Detect LOB changed
* LOBs in grids in .NET
* Elimination of restriction on I/O blocking statements including UDFs, OO non-void methods and even database triggers???
* Delay TT instantiation until first use
* TABLE-SCAN option for queries for non-index scan of table
* Faster table delete
* JSON parser
* Extended .NET support including no UI components and non-UI executables. Includes AppServer, GUI batch client, Character client, WebSpeed agent, WebClient
* OE BPM support - directional interface with Savvion

On roadmap, but not scheduled for a specific release
* Multithreading; first on AppServer
* Collections in language
* Possible 1 record work-table for equivalent of struct
* Objects across AppServer boundary

Requested, but not yet clearly on roadmap
* TT and PDS as real objects; i.e., can inherit
* WRITE-XML and WRITE-JSON for objects
* Java and .NET like ennumerators
* Support for ++, --, etc.
* ABL generics
* Resizable arrays

Tools features
* Project types including user definable
* Webspeed support including dynamic code broker
* Support for remote AppServer
* Remote debugger for AppServer and Webspeed
* Connect debugger to running AVM
* Linux OEA without VD or AppBuilder
* Eclipse 3.6 in box (supported now, but not shipped)
* Preprocessor support in OEA
* Ability to mark files and directories as non-compilable
* New version of Infragystics
* Probinding sources - design and recursive
* Eclipse 3.6 has square cut and paste

I've probably missed things...
[/SIZE]

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
What about WebSpeed? WebSpeed needs some improvement i.e. handling of an HTTP "PUT" request method. Also to to be able get the current bytes uploaded of a file whilst it's being uploaded. This would be used for AJAX file uploads and progress bars status.

sdjensen

I was hoping that they would fix the 32k char size so that I can have a char longer than 32k.
I know I can use longchar but longchar is not supported by all the functions yet.

Another nice functionallity I miss is the syntax checker's abillity to check for wrong parameters on procedures.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I doubt you will ever get compile time checking of procedure signatures. There are too many ambiguities. Use classes and methods and you can get that because the hierarchy is better defined.

One of the OEA requests was to have help available on typing a method invocation in OEA such that a list of arguments was automatically generated.