what for release statement inside the transaction block?

enoon

That you solved the problem using RELEASE doesn't mean that RELEASE was the right way to solve the problem. Chances are that correct scoping would also have solved the problem.

Maintenance on an obsolete application it is not as you write new code and have understanding of the whole bl and record scoping of a procedure. Thus if it works there is no need to fix it(maybe a hot patch).

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Maybe. But if you carefully read the documentation and understand what RELEASE is really doing you might not be so sanguine about it.

thenboogie

I think the release statements use comes from so many bad examples of progress code given in the reference and tutorial documentation supplied by progress and the stuff they teach in their initial courses, they are still doing it. they should teach beginers the right way to strongly scope transactions in the first place. in my entire progress career i've had to use the release statement once. and that was due to some quirk of vms not releasing named pipe no transactions were active.

always

do for mybuffer(s) transaction:
find mybuffer exclusive-lock.
some stuff.
end. /* transaction ans buffer scope */

and read the examples that psc give in the manuals with a pinch of saltA