Question What dev license will we need...

Drammy

Hi all,

I have some ABL procedures for the extraction of data from an OpenEdge database (generic code foreach through _file etc...).

I need to be able to run the code against OpenEdge 10 and 11 databases. I need to be able to run the code against db files on their own as well as databases that are 'live' and served. I need to be able to run against databases served on 32 bit and 64 bit OE db servers.

Can someone please tell me what dev license I will need to purchase in order to meet these requirements?

I've been asking questions elsewhere but am not getting straight answers - I think I'm being told I will need a OE 11 32 or 64 bit (doesn't matter) dev tools license.

Can anyone help me out please?

RealHeavyDude

The development license does not care whether the databse lives on a server or resides on the local machine and whether it is serverd by a 32 or 64Bit datbabase server product. What development licenes suits your needs is much more determined by the platfrom you plan to use it and yor needs regarding development. Furthermore, only a OE11 client ( the developer license is also a client in this regard ) can connect to OE10 and OE11 databases - connecting an OE10 client to a OE11 database is not supported and from what I know will not work.

Basically there are 3 development products:
  • 4GL development - although you can buy it for the Windows platform too, it does only make sense on a non-Windows platform and / or for CHUI development, available since forever.
  • Progress Developer Studio - full blown GUI development based on Progress' Eclipse plug-in, available since OE11+.
  • OpenEdge Studio - full blown GUI development based on Progress' AppBuilder written in the ABL, available since V9+.
As far as I know the Progress Developer and OpenEdge Studio cost the same. Plus, I would not go for the OpenEdge Studio as the AppBuilder is a product of the '90s of the last century.

Therefore, if you are on Windows and want save $$ at any cost - you might go for the 4GL development license, but, If I were you and considering that you need an OE11 product anyways, I would go for the Progress Developer Studio. You need to be aware that almost all you get with the 4GL developer studio is the procedure editor ( functionality-wise you might compare it with notepad courtesy of Windows ) and the ability to compile.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Last edited:

Drammy

Thanks - that's great information.

In the past I've simply gone into the procedure editor (yes, on Windows) and run a .p file.

Will I be able to do that with an OE11 4GL dev license against OE 10 and OE 11 dbs?

Drammy

Thanks Tom,

And one last question - I suspect that at some point in the future I'm going to come across an old system running on Progress 9 db. I assume the OE11 4GL dev license won't work here so what options do I have then?

RealHeavyDude

Progress is/was always backwards compatible for one version. If you need to access a V9 database you need at least an OE10 client. If you need to access a V8 database you need at least a V9 client. And so on. The restriction is that you can't make schema changes ( which does make sense as usually new relases introduce changes in the meta-schema and eventually new data types ).

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You could also XCODE your .p files and run them with a non-development v9 license.

It's a bit of a PITA but if you don't need to do it too often it is feasible.