Webspeed integration with .Net WPF classes

Fredmeu

Platform: OpenEdge 10.2A / Webspeed 3.1D (Vista 32)

Dear fellow webspeeders,

These last few weeks i've been busy trying to get some Silverlight /Webspeed R&D going, since PSC itself doesnt seem to be in a hurry to extend current web(speed) capabilities.

Atm im ambiciously trying to get a silverlight deepzoom webcomponent fed directly from a webspeed/openedge backend (general idea behind it is the use of a multiscale object with a dynamically generated multiscale tile source, bypassing the need to fall back on the microsoft deepzoom composer software)

Since .NET support in 10.2 is bound to the infragistics .Net WPF components (mainly focussed on windows forms GUI's it seems) im bound to compose the multiscale tile source in the silverlight frontend itself.. it cant be helped.

My plan is however to stream the bitmaps, which are needed for composing this multiscale tile source, straight from a webspeed cgi wrapper source using contenttype "image/jpeg".....

However to my amazement it seems both webspeed & appservers cant work with the new .NET WPF classes (i guess this has to do with the fact that TTY agents are used by both?). I know I can use RAW or Mempointers to store bitmap info, but my classmodel currently makes use of System.Drawing.Bitmap objects

My question: Does anyone here have any tips/tricks/experiences to get some integration going with the new .Net classes from webspeed?

Thanks for thinking along...

Fred van der Meulen
Caesar group - EC Progress

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I never worked with silverlight (yet), but we are in the middle of making a new UI for our application using WPF. This will be a windows client so we have nothin to do with webspeed.
But we neither use the new adavanced GUI form 10.2A (for more then 1 reason), we use .NET open client to connect to the appserver.
In the 'advanced' GUI there is only support for Windows forms. Not for WPF components.
I think it will be imposible to achieve what you want on the Appserver. There is also no support for OCX on the Appserver (and there probably will never be suppport). 10.2A is mainly focussed on the UI and the prowin32.exe was changed for that. The tty component is as far as I know still the same and is not capable of running the CLR.

You can build your silverlight application however and use a wcf service via asp.net to connect to you appserver I suppose. I have never tried that however. But it should be possible to connect form asp.net to an appserver using .NET open client.

Casper.

Fredmeu

Hi Casper,

Thanks for your reply...In the mean time i got things working...

It seems webspeed can instantiate openedge classes containing dotnet code as long as the methods called from webspeed dont contain any reference to a dotnet class...

By changing these (specifc) class methods to make use of regular progress datatypes like memptr and raw i got things working.

Dhubbuck

Hi

We are trying to get a Silverlight frontend going using WCF services connected to a proxy generated dll.

This connects to an appserver and returns data out of an openedge 10.1B database.

We are only prototyping at the moment but data including blobs can be returned to the silverlight frontend.

We are not sure about licensing at the moment for a couple of external users to get access if it goes into production but at least we are getting data.

Not sure if this is the correct way or if there are any easier solutions but I thought i'd mention it.