Web service deployment

Tarby777

Hi all,

I'm deploying a 10.2B app as a web service. The Openedge web services adapter will run inside Tomcat on a dedicated web server box where - currently - no Openedge software apart from the WSA has been installed. The WSA will call an Appserver on another box.

Can someone please confirm which Openedge components are required on the web server box in addition to the WSA? Having installed it, I have no Progress executables under DLC... no WSAMAN for example, so I can't deploy my web service to the WSA instance. I have only WSACONFIG and WSAVIEWER, and they won't work because I don't have a DLC/version file... guess I need some flavour of client or server on there, but I don't know which one.

TIA
Tarby

RealHeavyDude

I am not sure if that's the best approach - but at least I successfully implemented it that way some years ago in the exact same scenario (Windoze box with just IIS and TomCat to host the WSA). There are several products available from Progress which are considered deployment products and which you can just download. The Name Server is one such component. Usually you configure the WSA to ask the Name Server for the connection information to the AppServer instance you are needing. It is not necessary (and in some scenarios not desirable - making it more fault tolerant for example) to have the Name Sever running on the same box as where the AppServer instance resides. If the AppServer instance you are using does not register with the "standalone" Name Server on your TomCat box than you can define the Name Server the AppServer registers to as a neighboring Name Server ...

You can install the Name Server on your box and you will have everything you need.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.