Using your favorite BI and reporting tools with OpenEdge applications

• Thread starter progresscommunities@progr
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

progresscommunities@progr

One of the challenges I've seen with many OpenEdge applications is exposing their data to any BI or reporting tool. These tools base their connectivity on a SQL standard, such as ODBC or JDBC, and not 4GL/ABL.

OpenEdge bundles an ODBC driver in the box that allows BI/reporting tools to connect directly to the OpenEdge database. In certain use-cases however, there are limitations with this approach, for example:

1. Many applications have a data schema that is optimized for transaction processing, not for human BI analysis. The schemas can be complex, contain all sorts of cross-relations, have obscure table fields, and so on.
  2. For SaaS applications, many ISVs have built a custom multi-tenancy implementation that is enforced through the business logic layer. Exposing connectivity to the database directly can compromise the tenancy policies, and potentially create data security issues for end user customers.

I have created a solution brief that discusses these problems in more depth, along with a Progress solution to this problem called DataDirect OpenAccess.

I would be happy to do a follow-up with any of you to answer questions or hear your feedback so don't hesitate to reach out.

Cheers!

Dion Picco

Progress Software

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.