User/Connection Count

casorohi

Hi everyone
Need your help & expert advice and counting the –n. Actually I want a 4gl code or list of VST from where I get the total number of user (-n) defined as startup (4GL & SQL) and how many 4GL & SQL users are connected to databases.
Thanks

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Sorry, I'm not completely clear on what you want. Do you want to know what -n currently is, or what it should be based on your desired user count?

If you want to know what it is, you can get it from the _Startup VST:
Code:
find _Startup no-lock.
display _Startup._Startup-MaxUsers.

If your primary login broker was started with -n 40, your output will look like this:
Code:
┌────────────────────────────┐
│Maximum number of users (-n)│
│────────────────────────────│
│                          41│
└────────────────────────────┘

The database adds 1 to your specified -n value, to allow you to connect a proshut when all your user connections are in use.

To count your users by type you can iterate through the records in _Connect. You didn't mention your Progress version. If you are on 10.1C or later, the _Connect VST contains a field called _Connect-ClientType that allows you to distinguish between different types of connections (ABL, SQLC, WTA, APSV, etc.). There is also _Connect-Type which tells you whether the user is a self-service or remote user, or a database utility or program of some kind.