Urgent: Progress Version Update from OE10.1C to 10.2B

Mokash

Hello All,

We are planning to upgrade the Progress version from OE10.1C to OE10.2B on Linux box. We use MFG/PRO version eB2.1 SP6. Can any one tell what are the risk after conversion which needs to be planned in advance? Also do i need to upgrade the databases from 10.1C to 10.2B? Do I need to recompile all the QAD and customized code? What are remianing things needs tobe taken care?

Thanks in Advance!!!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I cannot speak to the specifics of mfg/pro.

In general you are not required to recompile when upgrading within the same major version number. It is, however, a good idea.

In theory you could keep the databases on the older release and use remote connections (-S) to access them. But then you would have to manage two different versions of Progress and that's a pain in the butt. And there is no good reason to do it. Actually I can't even think of a bad reason. Upgrading the database from 10.1C to 10.2B is drop dead easy:

1) Shutdown.
2) Backup (or backup online prior to shutdown).
3) Truncate the bi file.
4) Do whatever you do to make a new version available.
5) Restart with the new version.

Step 4 is probably the trickiest -- the details depend on your operating system and your local ideas about how you like to do these sorts of things. I'm mostly a UNIX guy so what I usually do is to install and test the new version using a new path a month or so before the upgrade. Then step 4 just becomes a matter of changing the DLC variable in a master script. Other people like to do more complicated things. I think they must be paid by the hour ;)

You should, of course, always test things yourself.