Upgrade to V9 or Openadge

Rabbit

I am planning to upgrade my 8.3C ot V9 and found that V9 is also under the 'Mature' status. I am wondering should I target for Openedge instead of V9.

My application is very simple, just a bunch of .w and .p program working with the Progress DB. I have heard before that Openadge is having a great change with the previous version. Is there any risk that I have to rewrite my existing program if I choose to upgrade to V10:confused:

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
With very few exceptions, you can expect to "load and go" with any upgrade. PSC has always worked very hard at that. Your biggest risk, typically, is that you have named a variable or column something that has now become a reserved keyword, but keyword forget will fix that in the short term and it isn't hard to fix. Occasionally one runs into something else, but usually it is easy to fix. I would go as modern as you can stand ... why do it half way.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Version 9 was last updated 5 years ago. It is no longer supported in any meaningful way. There will be no more service packs and there will be no bug fixes. Ever.

"OpenEdge" is just a rebranding of "Progress". There's no reason not to migrate from version 8 to version 10. Sure, there's lots of new stuff. Every release has new stuff. But you can safely ignore all of it if you want to. Of course after the basic migration is completed (which might not take more than the time that it takes to backup, truncate bi, install v10, conv89, conv910, recompile and test) you will start to find all sorts of interesting things to work with.