Unable to disconnect user (2258)

maday15

I am getting the following error:
SHUT 139: User progress cannot disconnect user xxxxxxxxx. (2258)

I am using the proper user to do the disconnect, it is the user that created the database and the user that starts the database. It seems to have started happening out of nowhere, we use this command regularly.

********** Update **********
we had a power outage and our LDAP server crashed so when the database was being started it had no user id, so it was not started with our normal id we use to disconnect users.
So next question, will we be able to shut down the database with our normal database id, if it wasn't the one that started the database??? I ask because if I can't run the proshut command to disconnect a user I am worried I can't use the proshut command to shut down the database. Oh, I'm on version 10.0B. Thanks!!!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You will probably have the problem that you expect to have.

10.0b is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. You should upgrade. Which would be an excellent opportunity to shutdown and restart properly.

maday15

Thanks Tom, we are actually upgrading this weekend to 10.1B. And I did figure out I can use root to shut down the db.

RealHeavyDude

AFAIK, 10.1B is not supported either - at the moment 10.1c is the supported version out of the 10.1 release. The current release is 10.2B and 11.0 is around the corner ...

Is there any particular reason as to why you would upgrade to an already unsupported version when upgrading to a supported version takes the same effort?

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

maday15

Actually there is a good reason. When we purchased our application we got progress, we get support for our database through the application company not Progress, and since the application is tied so tightly with the database the application dictates what version of progress we can be on, and our current version of the application only supports up to 10.1B. Next year there is a plan to upgrade the application and the database to more current versions, but for now we need 10.1B because of an application enhancement that is being installed that had issues with 10.0B. We have many databases and this is the one and only that the DBA section has no control over when to upgrade, it's a weird situation. Thanks for the info though.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
99.99% of the time, having a vendor tell you that you can only use an older version of Progress for a particular version of their application is complete BS. All it really means is that they are too lazy or cheap to try it out themselves so that they can certify it. If you have source, the chances are very, very high that you can just compile and go, at most having to add a word to the keyword forget list for some new keyword that was injudiciously used as a variable or field name. This practice of many ISVs is reprehensible because newer versions of Progress are more performant, more feature rich, more stable, and ***supported***!

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So next question, will we be able to shut down the database with our normal database id, if it wasn't the one that started the database???

You should be able to shut down the database (or disconnect users) with the system administrator account (e.g. root or administrator).