Syteline 5.00.3 Migration to Progress 9.1E or 10.1

eddiej

We are currently running Syteline ERP 5.00.3 on Progress 9.1C. We would like to migrate to a newer version of Progress (either 9.1E or possibly 10.1) and at the same time stay on Syteline 5.00.3. As I understand it, Syteline 5.00.3 is only certified for Progress 9.1C.

An obvious solution to this would be to migrate to Syteline 6.0, but that would be a daunting task for us. Our programs & environment are heavily modified.

Is there any way to migrate to a newer version of Progress and at the same time stay on Syteline 5.00.3?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you can compile code then all you need to do is upgrade Progress, upgrade the database and then recompile.

Testing is, of course, a really good idea.

Every now and then some little thing might go wrong -- it might be that a new keyword conflicts with a variable or field name. Or it might be that an old bug gets fixed and now some bit of code doesn't compile. But, in general, upgrades are pretty straight-forward.

There is one big "gotchya". Do not attempt to upgrade the ADM or Dynamics development environments. Even itty bitty point releases and service packs will break your code if you do that.

If it were me I'd be upgrading to 10.1B.