SYSTEM ERROR: Memory violation. (49)

Mokash

Hi All,

I am getting many occrences of error no 49 error in the db log file.
We have 9.1D progress version.
Is it critical, what I need to do to prevent this error?

16:02:07 SRV 4: Login usernum 196, userid label4, on bde022. (742)
16:02:09 Usr 26: SYSTEM ERROR: Memory violation. (49)
16:02:09 Usr 26: ** Save file named core for analysis by Progress Software Corporation. (439)

--
Thanks,
Mokash.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
9.1D is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. You should upgrade.

Those errors just mean that "something bad" happened which resulted in a client session terminating. The bad thing could be lots of different things but the only impact on the database is that the connection is dropped and any active transaction the session held will be backed out. It does not result in any data corruption or other unsavory side effects.

Mokash

Hi Tom,
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
So you mean to say, this error could be the result of one cause which is not easy to discover.
Just eager to know, can we avoid this error?how?
from the log file it doesnt seems to be any user is hangout/connection dropped, so still no idea to track the cause.

Thanks in advance...

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
From a single occurrence, it is very hard to tell, but you can sometimes get a clue from patterns. Years and years ago ... maybe even farther back than when 9.1D was new, I had a system where this was a symptom of memory problems. But, often, it is a specific program and recompiling it makes it go away.

Mokash

Hi Tamahas,
Thanks a lot for your time.
Is it the same problem with Progress version 9.1E04?
I have noticed the same errors many time in 9.1E04 version also. In this version, our management wants exact cause and proper solution to avoid this errors and unfortunatly I am not able to justify it. Please help !!

RealHeavyDude

A memory violation is just what it is: An application tried to access a memory address space of which the OS says it does not belong to the application. Therefore there are a lot of reasons that can lead to a memory violation.

• Could be a bug in your program
  • Could be a bug in Progress
  • Could be a bug in the OS
  • Could be a hardware problem
This list is by far not complete!

Actually there is a knowledge base article which describes it in detail which you might find interesting:
Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.