Starting from Basics...

anandknr

Hi all,

Today i am starting to learn webspeed .I have seen a vedio in 10.2b using OE architect and its ok but in windows.
I need the same in linux.Any documents for a beginer ?

My doubts,

1. My seniour said apache is installed in /var/www folder. Is its a default directory.
2. In windows inatalltion in the folder cgi-bin there is a file cgiip.exe. what is its linux equalent ?
3. in windows we need to copy paste the webspeed folder into htdocs folder.In linux even htdocs folder is missing ...where is it ?

RealHeavyDude

AFAIK, the OE Architect is only available for Windows (as is the AppBuilder which is the stone age IDE).

On Linux:

• You can install Apache in whatever folder you want and I have seen it in many different folders. Mostly I would say it depends on which flavor of Linux you are talking - because there are flavors in which an Apache installation is already included and others which do not. Plus, if you ask two *nix admins you get three different preferences where such things should go to ...
  • The *nix equivalent for the cgiip.exe is the cgiip.sh or cgiip script.
  • The name for the root folder that Apache uses for static HTTP files is subject to configuration, I've seen it called wwwroot for example.
Don't know if that is helpful to you, but: If there is any admin for Linux/Appache at your disposal you should get in touch with her/him and ask her/him - otherwise I think there is no way around making yourself familiar with the Apache web server.

BTW - the PDF documentation that comes with the Progress/OpenEdge product does include books on how to set up all this on different platforms with different web servers. You may find the WebSpeed Essentials in the Getting Started section, the Installation and Configuration Guide for Unix in the Installation section, and the Developing WebSpeed Applications in the Application Server section helpful.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Stefan

My doubts,

1. My seniour said apache is installed in /var/www folder. Is its a default directory.
2. In windows inatalltion in the folder cgi-bin there is a file cgiip.exe. what is its linux equalent ?
3. in windows we need to copy paste the webspeed folder into htdocs folder.In linux even htdocs folder is missing ...where is it ?

Looking at my CentOS 5.5 installation:
  1. yes this is default
  2. /var/www/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh (script that calls $DLC/bin/cgiip)
  3. /var/www/html seems like the directory you are looking for, note that you only need to copy the webspeed folder if you want to use the WebSpeed Workshop.

anandknr

Hi Stefan ,

Sorry for the late reply. It was a great help for me your guidelines.

But the third point is still confusing me. I have a html file having some progress code in it. that means we have to copy the webspeed to /var/www/html ? Is that right?

I may still need your help in future so please keep posting.

RealHeavyDude

I don't have much experience with WebSpeed so please bear with me:

AFAIK, there are two ways (actually there are three but I don't know if the third alternative is widely used) to develop WebSpeed objects:
  1. Speed Script: These are special HTML tags between which you code your Progress ABL code. You then must compile the HTML in the AppBuilder and it (I say should because I haven't done this in years and I don't have a WebSpeed development environment at my disposal) should produce several files - a static HTML page and several r-code files. You then must deploy the static HTML file into the folder structure of your Web server that holds the static HTML pages. The r-code files must be deployed into the PROPATH of your WebSpeed Broker. When the web server loads the page it will automatically forward the request between the Speed Script tags to the WebSpeed Broker where the r-code files get executed.
  2. CGI Wrapper: This is basically a structured procedure with not static HTML page associated with it. All HTML gets generated by the procedure and is written to the web stream (the {&OUT} preprocessor variable is used for that). You need to compile such a procedure like you would do with any other procedure and deploy it into the PROPATH of the WebSpeed broker which will executed it.
I can only urge you to take some training because otherwise, I am afraid, you will waste a lot of time figuring out how this is working - but that's, of course, IMHO.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
That sounds about right RHD. My WebSpeed experience is from a long time ago too, but it's basically correct.

As for training, it's invaluable.