SQLTempDisk

maday15

I have a question about SQLTempDisk. First off let me say I am running Open Edge 10.0B on an AIX server. Here is the question:

Where is the temp space for SQLTempDisk allocated? Is there a way to verify where it goes? I know it is probably /progress/wrk.

Also, the setting for this parameter is 4,000,000 (approx. 4gb), is this a total size no matter how many queries use this space, or if I have 3 queries using the temp space do they each get 4gb?

Thanks.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure but I believe it is the total space for a temp-table used for sorting. The size is the upper limit and diskspace is allocated on a 'needed' basis.
The location is in the progress wrkdir, the files are unlinked, so on *Nix platforms you can't see them.

BTW, if you upgrade (which you should :)) then you can ommit this parameter, as per KB P122494:
http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/Group.jsp?bgroup=progress&id=P122494

Casper

maday15

Thanks Casper! I think you just verified that this was what caused our problem. Our /progress directory (where the wrkdir is located) is only 5gb, with the SQLTempDisk able to reach 4gb and the other minor things in this directory we reached 100% full, and yet we were baffled because we couldn't see any large or growing files.

And we would love to upgrade we have been trying for at least a year, but our database is tied to an application we bought and they both have to be upgraded at the same time and the business unit keeps saying they can't do it yet, so we are stuck.

Thanks again for your help.
Brian