Source code repository

Can anyone recommend a source code manager? I've had a quick look at SourceSafe but wondered if there was anything around that specifically works with Progress?

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i'd say most of us here use subversion these days.

and the subclipse plug-in for recent versions with the new eclipse based ide

but it can also be tied to the old progress editor (i've done this before).

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Roundtable is Progress specific, but it implies a whole style of working so it may or may not be to your taste.

Catherine Sea

I recommend you SourceAnywhere Standalone. It is an SQL-based version control application that provides all of the key features of VSS, plus much more. SourceAnywhere Standalone comes with GUI client, command client, SDK, Eclipse plug-in, Visual Studio 6/2003/2005/2008 integration, Dreamweaver/Flash integration, cross-platform client. All are in one product. Besides that, SourceAnywhere Standalone offers a unique feature, Web Deployment through FTP.

Here is the home page of SourceAnywhere Standalone:
http://www.dynamsoft.com/Products/SourceAnywhere-SourceSafe-VSS.aspx

The SaaS Edition - SourceAnywhere Hosted is also available.
http://www.dynamsoft.com/Products/SourceAnywhere-Hosting-Version-Control-Source-Control.aspx

You can take a look.

Thanks.

Catherine Sea

------------------
www.dynamsoft.com
the leading developer of version control and issue tracking software

DevTeam

Per the last price list I saw, $1400 per concurrent user. But, looking up Tugboat Software at http://www.oehive.org/whitepages here is their web site http://www.tugboatsoftware.com/ so I'd just ask them.

The people who use it seem to like it, but a bunch of people can't stand the thought of working the way it requires. So, it seems to be love it or hate it.
Ouch, even if it is efficient or well thought, it seems expensive to me ! :eek:

I do not use a source code repository for Progress, but I do appreciate Subclipse for my Java files, and it has the good idea to be free.

DevTeam

even 100 bucks is too much for a private developer.

but for most companies this prices are a non-issue.
I do not agree Joey :

- As a private developer, I am ready to pay if I do not find a satisfying equivalent in the open source world of some software
- As an chief executive - which I am not up to now :D - I think it would be valuable to spend some time comparing pros & cons of RoundTable (1400$ per user), SourceAnywhere (1500$ / 5 users) and Subversion...

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
no problem. we probably have different experiences.

i still think theres a difference between a private person that earns a salary and multi-million dollar companies, especially, the ones that do their own development.

for most companies finding the right solution is more important, at least at those prices.

most developers i know are usually cheap bustards. they don't like paying for software, or music for that matter :)

personally, i think, private developers shouldn't pay for software.

i'd imagine most projects your company does even trivial ones start at those prices if not 10 times that much.

it would be pretty hard to find work if that was too expensive.

regarding version control system, i like subversion and it's pretty much the standard tool most companies and private developers i know use, which is a big advantage in itself.

YMMV

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Frankly, a good consultant earns a lot compared to a salaried employee, so if the tool helps him earn, then why would he be reluctant to spend the money.

Of course, version control tends to be more of an issue for multi-person teams and so there is a stronger argument in the corporate shop.

But, in any case, one shouldn't compare Roundtable to the free products ... just not the same tool. If all you want is version control, Subversion and the like will do the job just fine. Roundtable is a whole development environment which manages a lot more than just versions. You might hate it because you don't want to work the way it does. But, if you do, then it is going to help your work and will easily pay for itself ... same as any tool.

DevTeam

Sure. But as I do not know RoundTable at all, I was just wondering why it was this expensive.

Unfortunately, in my short career of salaried employee, I have known executives whose motto seemed to be "The more expensive, the better"...

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Perhaps it costs $1400 a seat because they feel that, were it $100 a seat, they wouldn't sell 14 times as many and if it were $14000 a seat they would sell less than 1/10 as many. That is the general theory of pricing.

If it works for you, the price is trivial in the course of the costs for a programmer for a year. If it doesn't work for you, then no price would make it right.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
I would personnally use Roundtable. I have used it in the past, and I'll use it again.

Roundtable was Great for deployment because when I released the schema delta files and compiled .r code I knew it was going to work on the deployed site without worry of CRC problems.

Also I like the fact if you tried to delete a field or index and it was referenced in a piece of code I was then forced into fixing the code first. Plus you could not complete a task unless the program compiled.

I have been bitten one to many times with subversion and alike where code was reverted back to a previous version or deleted just because I made in incorrect mouse click. :(

Per the last price list I saw, $1400 per concurrent user. But, looking up Tugboat Software at http://www.oehive.org/whitepages here is their web site http://www.tugboatsoftware.com/ so I'd just ask them.

The people who use it seem to like it, but a bunch of people can't stand the thought of working the way it requires. So, it seems to be love it or hate it.

Roundtable does not "require" you to work a certain way. Roundtable simply enforces the rules and requirements set up by the administrator.

Based on the number of customers we have, I would also say that "a bunch" of folks enjoy the thought as well.