Request: xcode for progress V6

jdelange22

Anyone still got a progress V6 somewhere with the tool xcode? I'm trying to make a domp from a V6.2 database but I need xcode.exe to do the trick. I can't use xcode from later versions because the encryption has changed in later versions.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
Was it changed ? I'm guessing it didn't exist back then, if it was why did
they even bother with such a weak algorithm ?

Anyway, I don't have such an XCODE copy, but I do have a 6.2M
development version for DOS in my collection.

Here's a copy of the version file

The PROGRESS 4GL&RDBMS version 6.2M as of Fri Dec 11 1992

I don't mind giving you a copy, but only if you can OK it with PSC.

jdelange22

joey.jeremiah said:
Was it changed ? I'm guessing it didn't exist back then, if it was why did
they even bother with such a weak algorithm ?

Anyway, I don't have such an XCODE copy, but I do have a 6.2M
development version for DOS in my collection.

Here's a copy of the version file

The PROGRESS 4GL&RDBMS version 6.2M as of Fri Dec 11 1992

I don't mind giving you a copy, but only if you can OK it with PSC.

I only need to make a dump from the database as it is now. I don't have any further need of Progress. The company I work for now owns a runtime version of Progress 6.2. I think there must be a XCODE for this version because it works with encrypted files. (Can someone confirm?) So I have 3 options: 1: obtain XCODE for 6.2
2: obtain a development version of 6.2
3: forget about it-> no data (not my option)

What do you mean with: "OK it with PSC?" I'm only interested in a development version if I can make a dump from the database.

gcampbell

You shouldn't need XCODE for dumping the DB.

You should be able to access the 'Data Administration' tool and there you have the ability to dump the data ... without xcode.

Later,
Gordon

jdelange22

gcampbell said:
You shouldn't need XCODE for dumping the DB.

You should be able to access the 'Data Administration' tool and there you have the ability to dump the data ... without xcode.

Later,
Gordon

Sorry, I don't know how to access the DA-tool. Can you explain how this is done on V6 Progress??

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
jdelange22 said:
I think there must be a XCODE for this version because it works with encrypted files.

try compiling a single proc file, no include files etc. and make sure you're not running the client with -rx afterwards.

atleast include us in on what error messages you're receiving.

jdelange22 said:
(Can someone confirm?) So I have 3 options: 1: obtain XCODE for 6.2
2: obtain a development version of 6.2
3: forget about it-> no data (not my option)

another option is you or the client etc. can get a contractor to do the job and get it over with.

jdelange22 said:
What do you mean with: "OK it with PSC?" I'm only interested in a development version if I can make a dump from the database.

i don't know if you realize it or not, but you cannot just hand out copies, that includes xcode.

whether you think it's fair use or we shouldn't pay for software and music is besides the point.

contact psc or your local distributor, i don't think it would be a problem.

jdelange22

I'm able to compile a single PROC. file. It simply doesn't let me dump the database. For all errormessages I'm getting, please take a look in the thread mentioned 2 posts before this one. I do realize that I cannot simply obtain a piece of software that's copyrighted. On the other hand me and the firm I work for aren't willing to spend a lot of $$ just to get the data from that old database. We are spending a whole more $$ on new DB software, Server Software and all client licenses. The company that originally developed the database doesn't even exist anymore so I cannot let them do the dump for me. My time and efforts are running out on this project. Guess I'll have to begin building the DB from scratch and start all over again. This means a clean DB with no redundancy and less overhead so... thanks for your advise...

P.S. now I see what PSC stands for... Progress Software Corporation! duh!

If you cannot access the data directly, run the reports from the previous software, and extract the data from that using Data Conversion software.

Of course, you'll have to pay for that as well.

I guess it depends how much the cost of reconstructing the data (manually = more man hours) compared to cost of Progress license is worth to you.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
I believe he has everything he needs, he could also do a better job helping us help him.

I think, in this case, this type of long distance consulting by mail is near to impossible, not to mention we might be too busy to walk him thru it.

I'd recommend getting a contractor to come in for a few hours or so instead of playing around with it for a month.

Just make sure he's up for the job a head of time. good luck

jdelange22

Let me get this straight:
1st of all... I don't need all the data that the DB is holding right now. I'm building a brand new application that runs on a totally different DB-structure. It would be nice to have some of the old data like contacts and adresses etc. that can EASILY be migrated to this new system. If that's too much work (which it is..) than i'll rest my case and save my efforts on trying. I guess 90% of all the data is of no-use for me. I realize that dumping the data from that old DB-system is not just some simple mouseclicks and you're done. In my case it is not all that much of a work to manually fill the DB with data. I admit it is much safer and faster if the import of data would work but I can't get it to work.

joey.jeremiah said:
I believe he has everything he needs, he could also do a better job helping us help him.

I'm not familiar with PROGRESS at all. I now know that I'm dealing with a RUNTIME license, that makes it difficult for me to compile or even run DB-dump procedures (Or am I wrong?) I don't know how to make things more clear to you all.

joey.jeremiah said:
I think, in this case, this type of long distance consulting by mail is near to impossible, not to mention we might be too busy to walk him thru it.

If it is too much work for some of you... I'm only asking for your help. You are not obliged to help me. If you don't have the time to help or you simply don't want to help than don't. (no-offend) :)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
A runtime license allows you to dump everything using the standard dictionary tools.

Or, if the VAR provided it, you could run custom dump routines. (That's pretty unlikely -- most VARs don't do such things.)

You will not be able to easily create a customized dump routine. The runtime license doesn't permit development work (like writing customized data extracts).

A consultant with access to v6 and xcode could create such a thing for you.

Allegro, for instance, may still have the necessary bits and pieces (I do not.) Try contacting Doug Lucy if you'd like to pursue that avenue.

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
no worries ;)

in general, you can use what ever came with the app in a run-time
license. run-time let's you run the app not develop and compile etc.

encrypted compiler mode ( -rx ) allows deployment of app to sites with
run-time or other limited licenses.

xcode is a product that comes with the development license and prior
to release 10 sold separately with the development toolkit.

afaik you cannot dump data, only definition using the dictionary with
run-time license with or without -rx ( kb-p6673 ).

encrypted compiler mode comes with a few restrictions to prevent mis-
use -

- you can only compile encrypted source ( xcode ). include files must
also be encrypted.

- only allows access to the schema and system tables not the data, as
you've already seen. that's about it.

but after the source has been compiled you can run the client without
-rx and use it as you would with every other prog.

try this -

1. copy the folowing main.p and compile.p files, don't forget to fill-
in the missing info. and encrypt them with xcode.

be careful not to confuse which files are encrypted. you can place
them in diff directories.

<snippet>

/* main.p */

output to <insert file name here>. /* e.g. order.csv */

for each <insert table here> no-lock: /* e.g. order */

export delimiter "," <insert table here>.

/* the delimiter "," is optional, you can read up about the delimiter
* and the other export statement in the ref doc @psdn.com */

end. /* for each */

output close.

/* compile.p */

compile main.p save.

<snippet>

2. launch the client and include the following parameters, make sure
you're referencing the encrypted source files.

-p compile.p
-db <insert databse here>
-rx

3. once the program has been compiled launch the client without the -
rx parameter, again, make sure those are the compiled .r files.

-p main.p
-db <insert database here>

i haven't checked itm maybe somethings are not in v6, i'm hoping it'll
workout.

if that doesn't work out call up psc or a local progress distributor, you
can look it up @progress.com under world wide offices.

ask them to email me their premission to give you a 6.2m copy, again, i
don't think it would be a problem.

setup an ftp server or maybe someone in here can help us with that
and i'll upload the copy, ~20megs.

jdelange22

joey.jeremiah said:
1. copy the folowing main.p and compile.p files, don't forget to fill-
in the missing info. and encrypt them with xcode.

I already tried that, exept that I don't own a V6 xcode util. I found one from v7.0 and 8.0 but both of them doen't work because they use a different encryption from v7 and upwards.

joey.jeremiah said:
ask them to email me their premission to give you a 6.2m copy, again, i
don't think it would be a problem.

So you own a V6 with xcode? Sould it be legal if you encrypt the .P files for me? I can send you the files I coded. Or is this to much of a work? If this is not an option I try contacting Progress. Thanks!

jdelange22

Found xcode for V6 somewhere on the web. Tried several scripts using xcode but all give me the error: "You can not access local data using this version of progress". I guess I really need a dev.license.

Trying to get permission... to be continued...