Publish AppBuilder App

Phillip

Does anyone know how to publish/package an app builder app for client use? I have the app built as an app builder file (.w) but I want it to be executable as a desktop app.

TheMadDBA

Compile the code (.r)... make sure they have a Progress Client installed and make a desktop short cut that starts your program?

No way to build this into a executable like with C# or VB.

Phillip

Compile the code (.r)... make sure they have a Progress Client installed and make a desktop short cut that starts your program?

No way to build this into a executable like with C# or VB.

For the shortcut would I run the .w file or the .r file? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this, I haven't worked with AppBuilder much

TheMadDBA

For the shortcut you would normally run the .r file because the clients are usually runtime only (no compiling).

You might want to read the deployment guide, it covers a lot of things that you will need to do (setting up INI files, shortcuts, startup parameters, etc).

RealHeavyDude

Progress is similar to Java as the compiler generates plattform independent ( at least if you don't code ABL GUI for .NET or the Windows MFC ) byte code that gets interpreted by the AVM ( ABL Virtual Machine ).

Therefore you invoke the AVM with the parameter -p yourFile.w. Depending whether you have a 32Bit or 64Bit installation ( OpenEdge 11.3+ ) you either invoke the prowin32.exe or the prowin.exe for a GUI applicatio. If it is ChUI ( always 64Bit since OpenEdge 11.3 ) you use the _progres.exe.

You can safely specify the source code file ( be it a .w or .p ) as the AVM will always look for the .r file when you have a runtime license installed. If you have a development license installed it will take the .r file when the source has not been changed since the .r was compiled - otherwies it will take the source file and temporarily compile it ( the same thing happens when you run a code in the AppBuilder ). The startup parameter -q overrides this behavior so that the AVM will always take the .r file no matter what.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.