Protop

maday15

I just downloaded and extracted PROTOP, and I'm not real sure where to go from here. It is on my C: drive. The Progress database is on an AIX box. I'm new with Progress, and fairly new with UNIX as well. I found a command in the readme file (mpro sports -p protop.p -param "i;10|d;UIO"), I assume this should be typed in after I connect to the database, but how does it know to look at the C: drive, do I need to ftp something up to AIX? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
In all cases it needs to be in the PROPATH. For Unix that means that you probably need to do something like:

PROPATH=$PROPATH:/home/protop

(if you installed it in /home/protop.) For Windows you need to edit the registry and add it to the propath or mess with proenv.

It works best when it can make a self service connection. So ideally you would install it on the AIX box. In that case you would use a command similar to:

mpro databasename -p protop

(don't bother with the -param stuff -- that's just an example of starting on a particular screeen...)

But you can run it on a windows box and use a client/server connection instead. If you're going to run it on windows you can run either a GUI session or a character session. The GUI is "lightly tested" and there have been a couple of recent reports of something not fitting in a frame somewhere -- easy to fix but I haven't gotten around to it (you've got the source though...) The character client is just like the unix character client. You just run _progres.exe instead of prowin32.exe. In both cases the command line looks like:

mpro dbname -H hostname -S servicename -p protop.p

(substitute prowin32 or _progres for "mpro").

Alternatively start a progress session and from the editor type:

propath = "c:\propath".
run protop.p.