ProTop for .NET

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
ProTop for .NET

ProTop has been updated and enhanced for Progress OpenEdge release 10.2! This new release of ProTop fully embraces Progress' .NET GUI Architecture and brings all of the advantages of a modern user interface to OpenEdge Database Monitoring.

Requirements and Warnings

You must have Progress OpenEdge 10.2A or better to run ProTop for DotNET. This release depends on the new OpenEdge GUI for .NET and it will not run on any earlier release.

You can, however, connect in client-server mode to Progress OpenEdge databases running any OpenEdge version 10 release or even Progress version 9! Client-server connections are, however, painfully slow on WANs and congested LANs. So don't be surprised if performance is poor in such environments.

Don't try to run ProTop on a small screen. It will be very frustrating. You need a lot of screen real-estate to monitor a db properly. If your monitor doesn't let you view most of the images on this page then you might not want to waste any time downloading ProTop.

Lastly, this is a BETA release. It may even contain bugs. Use at your own risk, etc. etc. There is a drop dead date of June 1 2009 built into the r-code. So check back in May for an update.

casorohi

Hi Tom
Can we monitor the multiple DB through PROTOP ? if yes how. I tried and mentioned two set of entire in PF file, but it picks only top DB entries.
-db QAD
-H host1
-S 1255
#######
-db QAD
-H host2
-S 1355

Thanks

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Just start multiple sessions each connecting to different dbs. I doubt you'll get it working with mutliple in the same session.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
ProTop works with a single database per instance.

It would not really make sense to combine data from multiple databases.

Run multiple instances for multiple databases.

andypeoples

What have you done so far?

I have installed openedge 10.2b on a windows 7 64bit pc.
i have dot net 4 installed.
I have started a test db
I have extracted protop to C:\ProTop
I have amended the protop.pf file to point to my test db
I tired to launch protop using C:\ProTop\etc\ProTopDotNet shortcut
I then get an error msg "Could not connect to server for database devDB3, erno 0. (1432)"

Thanks
Andy

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Error 1432 means that there is no "server" running on the host or port that was specified.

From the kbase:
Error 1432 with 'errno 0' usually means that the client attempting to connect to the database server did not find any process listening on the port and at the IP address where the server is supposed to be.This sometimes is caused by TCP/IP configuration issues, such as the host name does not resolve to the correct IP address.

What does protop.pf look like?

How about the startup section of dbName.lg (the 70 or so lines after the most recent startup -- search for "(333)" to find that section quickly).

andypeoples

I have attached the DB log file and the protop.pf file (renamed to protop.txt)

Attachments

• log_extract.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 5
  • protop.txt
    286 bytes · Views: 8

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Your database is listening for remote connections on port 5000. The .pf file is specifying 60000. Change the .pf to 5000.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes, but is a *server* running. One can and frequently does access with data dictionary in single user mode. ProTop requires a server to be running.