Question Progress to SQL

jmac13

Hi All,

I'm using 10.2b and we've got a project coming up where we will be connecting to a SQL db and updating a table/tables and maybe getting data back. When we have done this in the past we have used the com-handles adodb.connection,adodb.Command & adodb.Recordset. Using a ODBC connection to connect to the SQL DB and thenWe would do the following example (See below) we would say do a Select then go round recordset object and create a temp-table or populate a db table or a Update depending on what we are doing.

Is there a better way of doing this or should I just stick with doing this? thanks

Code:
  define variable comConn            as com-handle  no-undo.
  define variable comCmd              as com-handle  no-undo.
  define variable comRS              as com-handle  no-undo. 

create "adodb.connection"  comConn.
   create "adodb.Command"      comCmd.
   create "adodb.Recordset"    comRS.

comConn :Open("{&DSN}","{&UID}","{&PSW}",-1) no-error.

if not valid-handle(comConn) then return.

comCmd  :ActiveConnection  = comConn no-error.   
    comCmd  :CommandText        = ipChrQuery no-error.
    comRS  :Open(comCmd, , 3,2,) no-error.

GregTomkins

Interesting, never seen com handles used like that before. Now I want to try it ;)

I guess you could use a DataServer, no?, but that is muchos dineros and probably way way way overkill for what you are doing.

Or you could do something more entertaining like write a little server in C#, Java whatever and communicate with Progress via sockets or proxies ... also probably overkill.

RealHeavyDude

Nowadays you should think about a service. Accessing a "foreign" database directly or letting a "foreign" application directly access your database is not recommended for several reasons. And by "foreign" I do not only mean a different technology stack - it might very well be two Progress OpenEdge applications that for some reason need to exchange data.

If there is any possibility then the other software ( I think that it most likely won't be just a database ) should offer a service - maybe a web service that you just call without needing to know their gory implementation details. The same is true for the other system - you should offer them a service so that they do not need to know the gory implementation details of your application.

Just some thoughts.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

jmac13

scrap what I said before.. looks like we will be having the DB as a SQL Schema.. not sure if thats better or worse..Was trying to find some docs on one of the online courses on how to do this.. I have done it before but once again I've been shown by someone else and not sure if the correct method anyone got some good links?

thanks all

jmac13

I'm currently looking at this:

Code:
http://documentation.progress.com/output/OpenEdge102b/pdfs/dmsql/dmsql.pdf

I may have more questions but I've add the link for anyone else looking for the same info