Progress SQL92 Driver causes 'No Data"

Pokerface

Hi Progress guru's,

I have this problem here. I want to use the Merant 3.60 32-bit Progress SQL92 v.9.1c ODBC driver to establish a connection to a Progress database from Visual Studio.NET. However, every time I try to connect, it shows me the following Error message:

[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS DRIVER][PROGRESS]No data

I have run out of idea's, but this is probably because I am still a beginnner.

Any help ?

Gerben.

Dhubbuck

I've had the same problem with 9.1D using vb.net and the ODBC driver to connect to progress. I've contacted technical support and it seems to be a bug with the ODBC driver and .NET. Does the data that you are trying to recieve contain any null or blank data.
Try different tables names and field combinations to test that the link works first.

If the error is specificlly to one table or field then if the field is a char field then fill the field with some dummy data

Hope this helps

Pokerface

I am a pretty frequent visitor of the microsoft site, though I have not located a progress ODBC driver. Then again, I think the MS support and help for Progress is far from complete ... which is a bad thing considering the call from Microsoft to the DB vendors for .NET Managed Providers. But that's another discussion / thread.

The bottom line is that I can't find it. So far I have had no MS product communicating with any Progress DB. I have tried Access (Linked Table), VS.NET and VB 6.0 ... all failing at the Merant ODBC driver when establishing connection.

The posters here have helped me out allready, but can anyone post the url where I can retrieve this ODBC driver ?

I could really use it. :jump:

Another thing: (and the moderator could perhaps think it doesn't belong on this thread, but I'll try anyway)

If a developer would not have the Driver to address a Progress Database directly. How would you then communicate with a DB ?

The first thing that comes to mind is some kind of XML message service between the Progress DB and the Application. Where the Application would parse Progress Query in XML form and the Progress DB would answer with Results (recordsets ?) in XML form. Would this have to be written from the ground up ? And what would the performance be ? I am originally a VS programmer and not very much a Progress guru, so does anyone know how sophisticated the support for XML is in Progress ?

Please post any information you have here, or if you have the Progress ODBC driver E-mail it to Gerben@Casnet.net

Greetz,
Gerben.
MS Developer.
Progress Wannabee.