[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: Windows Subsystem for Linux (Any way to use it from OE ABL?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I'd like to know if there is a way to get OE ABL to redirect certain statements ("UNIX" and "INPUT THROUGH") to the windows subsystem for linux. This would need to happen from a Windows installation (eg. from OE ABL running within PDSOE on Windows). We have a variety of code that interacts with the OS, some of which is just file I/O that is done in a way that is (unfortunately) shell-specific. Much of it could have been written to use generic file I/O statements in ABL. This shell-specific ABL code was historically executed in HP-UX but we'd like the flexibility of running it on Windows or Linux (hopefully with minimal re-coding, and substantial re-testing). I know that a windows update recently broke some stuff on Windows where OE was interacting with the OS via these types of command-shell statements (see INPUT THROUGH issue on Windows 10 Winver 1703 OS Build 15063.520 Openedge 8.3B - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community ) And there was a notation that Progress improved some of its OS-interaction routines ... In any case, we have made changes in OpenEdge 11.7.1 to make the implementation of INPUT THROUGH, OUTPUT THROUGH, and INPUT-OUTPUT THROUGH more robust so hopefully we won't have further issues as the evolution of the command shell continues. What I don't know is if they actually made changes to actually *support* the "subsystem for linux", since that seems to be a very appealing mechanism for both the OE "UNIX" statement and "INPUT THROUGH" statement. I don't know if "UNIX" statements are even executed today if/when the ABL is running in Windows. Any help would be appreciated. I didn't find this question asked anywhere else yet, although the link (which I gave earlier) does make a passing reference to the "subsystem for linux".

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.