[progress Communities] [progress Openedge Abl] Forum Post: Re: Taking The User For A Ride...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon L. Prinsloo

I do notice that the bug number is quite new and I am extremely glad that it will be fixed. I appreciate that a lot. In fact, I struggle to get one customer to move beyond 10.1B and the mere fact that the fix is in the pipeline will strengthen my case a lot. We've come a long way since I first encountered that bug and much has changed. We tripped over it a lifetime ago. That was before easy access to nice internet portals and support in our own time zone. A hot fix would come on a CD, mailed to us a week before from the US. Then we would need to copy and courier it to customers in other countries.... Even if the ESD existed, the internet was so slow that the CD would beat a download by days. What I try to say is this: We can normally have two situations. One is sad, with a possible happy ending for everybody, one is about winners and losers. It all depends on how we reject something in the beginning. Sad Story (Vendor cannot satisfy and customer, neither like it.) - Bad news. It is a bug. we are not in a position to fix it. Happy Ending (Vendor makes a difference for customer. Both elated) - This was (re)discovered / we looked at it again. We are now in a position to fix it. Watch this space. Winner and looser - Vendor (winner) sugar coat the matter and refuse to fix it, brush it under the table. Customer (looser) left out in the cold. - Vendor (loser) "cave" and undertake to fix it, admitting that the customer (winner) was right all the time. As programmers we often run into situations where we are changing a sad story into a happy story, just to find that the user is not celebrating the breakthrough with us, but a victory over us in a long forgotten war started by someone who may be long gone. I guess the point of the thread, for me, is this: Don't be a hard-ass winner today, rather share the user's pain. That way the guy who fix it can celebrate with the user, rather than being confused about a user's victory dance. Who knows, it might be you.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.