[progress Communities] [progress Openedge Abl] Forum Post: Re: Peg - Progress Email Group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Kuehn

[quote user="Thomas Mercer-Hursh"] find someone who is willing to commit resources so that there is a real proposal in front of Greg which has a chance of actually working. Vague statements of "we should do something" aren't likely to capture much attention. [/quote] With the state of the open source technology its a matter of standing up a VPS, installing the software, making sure the configurations are all good, and then getting out of the way so it could do its job. Once a system's installed the only thing left is to check for bounces and get the machine off the inevitable anti-spam black lists. This platform would've also allowed html - thus solving the plain-text only issue, provided automated archives, and the like. I've run mailing lists like this for years and in the past have offered to help transition the PEG to such a platform. Had Greg made the PEG's impending shutdown and sale known, I could've had a replacement machine up and running inside of an evening's worth of work. I still can, and, in fact, so could anyone else that's a reasonably good SA. The cost is minimal - ~$10 / month for the VPS with Digital Ocean, the domain name registration fee, and whatever time is required to check it once in a while. http://mail.tdkcs.com/sympa is where I host the mailing lists I run off of tdkcs.ca and tdkcs.com. www.sympa.org is the software I use. Is this a "concrete enough" of a proposal?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.