[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: How can I explain for business the difference between the classic AppServer and the new

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frank.meulblok

Alright, time to play devil's advocate: If you've known a certain technology has been dead for a long time, you've known for a long time that at some point you will need to phase it out. And there are alternatives to explore, if you're willing to move to OpenEdge 11.7. Assuming that, there's the following points for you to consider: - PASOE has support for legacy webspeed knowledgebase.progress.com/.../How-to-migrate-a-classic-WebSpeed-application-to-PASOE . It does have a few limits, I don't know how those interfere with the ps:escript stuff since I don't really know about ps:escript. Maybe someone else on here can chime in on that, other than that you can always get an eval license, try it and find out what breaks and what doesn't. - PDSOE doesn't have the same annoying 32k limits that the AppBuilder has. And it can publish code to remote appservers as well. The model's a bit different behind the scenes, but it can replace the AppBuilder "remote" mode. - PDSOE, being based on Eclipse, also has features to handle javascript/html/css work. So that can probably replace the ps:escript editor. And if you don't like the base capabilities Eclipse offers, chances are there are plugins out there that will serve your needs. - PDSOE also has much better integration for your classic AppBuilder-based UI screens. (A lot of this was introduced in the earlier 11.x'es. But if you're going to upgrade, you should target the non-retired release which will be supported for a longer time).

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.