Progress and Viruses

mnowak

Has anyone had any problems with a virus keeping your databases from starting or not able to run any progress commands from Proenv? I have found one KB article from progress (ID: P79735) on the subject. W32PINFI virus caused this problem I believe similar viruses can do the same thing. The article suggests rebuilding the OS. I hate to have to do this. Is there anyone out there that has faced the same problem or has experience removing such things from a server without having to rebuild the OS?

The databases will open in Single User Mode and the application will run in single user mode. It is just the databases will not start in Multi User Mode and no progress commands will run from ProEnv. This always seem to happen after the server is rebooted. A virus scan usually shows some type of virus on the server. When the virus is removed sometimes progress will have to be re-installed sometimes it will just begin to work in multi user mode. I am working on testing to see if the virus scanner itself is causing the problem. I know the DB files should not be touched by virus scanners but should progress (DLC) also not be touched?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Most of what I have heard about was not problems from viruses, but problems with programs that are supposed to keep out viruses! :)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
I think I'd spend a little time asking myself how it is that viruses are getting on my server in the first place.