Progress 9.1 E on Windows 7 x64 Business Edition (Homeinfo)

Hi Progress gurus!

We have a Homehardware store and the IS software the enterprise uses is called "Homeinfo" and was dev using Progress 9.1 E.

When we install the software on a Win7 x64 workstation it manages to kill all intranet connectivity to the machine it's install on but only on inbound authentication as the workstation itself can access shares from the other machines. Working shares with known l/p that worked prior to installation no longer work IE invalid username and password. These are shares local to the Progress 9.1 E installation (server side with client) for Homeinfo.

After restoring the system to a condition prior to installation the shares work again.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion it's a config application called netsetup that silently installs via their installer and it seems to try and make certain shares et al for the progress DB to be shared on the network.

This software is brutally old and I just can't believe Homehardware IT people use it to dev this Homeinfo software.

I don't understand why they haven't ported/compiled this old 9.1 E code to Openedge ABL using the latest libraries etc.

XP is EOL this spring and they can't expect us to continue using XP past this date.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty shocking. Do you pay them anything for support/maintenance? I assume you get rcode libraries, not source? If you have source you should easily be able to compile up your own 10.2/11.1 version.

RealHeavyDude

Putting any file that the database consists of on a shared network drive is just silly. One can only speculate whether the ones responsible did it on purpose to introduce an additional risk or they just had no glue what they did.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.