Question Program crashing out

jmac13

Hi All,

I've got a customer on 10.1c and for some reason their progress just crashes out with no error just no more session.

My question is what are the debug steps I can take? I've done the below so far any more suggestions would be welcome.

I've created a log for the client with the different log types. so far the logs ive got back there has been no error in there or consistent pattern. I could maybe create some debuglist files and have the debugger on. but as i don't where its crashing out I'm not sure what this would give me.

Code:
-clientlog  ..\system-files\CDMDebug.log
-logginglevel 2
-logentrytypes 4GLTrace,4GLMessages,4GLTrans,DB.Connects,DynObjects.DB,DynObjects.XML,DynObjects.Other,DynObjects.UI
-logthreshold 5000000
-numlogfiles 5

jmls

Hi All,

I've got a customer on 10.1c and for some reason their progress just crashes out with no error just no more session.

My question is what are the debug steps I can take? I've done the below so far any more suggestions would be welcome.

I've created a log for the client with the different log types. so far the logs ive got back there has been no error in there or consistent pattern. I could maybe create some debuglist files and have the debugger on. but as i don't where its crashing out I'm not sure what this would give me.

Code:
-logginglevel 2
-logentrytypes 4GLTrace,4GLMessages,4GLTrans,DB.Connects,DynObjects.DB,DynObjects.XML,DynObjects.Other,DynObjects.UI
-logthreshold 5000000
-numlogfiles 5

do you have any protrace.** files ? They are text files which may indicate where the crash happened

jmac13

ah yes I'd forgot all about those files.. but not sure where to look for these files in the help it says creates one in the current directory.. so if I've got my shortcut that has the start dir of D:\cdms\system and running program in c:\cdms\system\psop would you expect the protrace to be in that folder?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Possible they go into the session:temp-directory, could go to c:\openedge\wrk too. Depends on setup etc. Just do a filesystem search for protrace

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Hi All,

Code:
-logginglevel 2
-logthreshold 5000000
-numlogfiles 5

Do you have steps to reliably reproduce the crash? Does it happen eventually to every client if it runs long enough? If so it might be useful to turn on database request statement caching (promon R&D 1 18) and run some code on the server side to log the client call stacks from _Connect to a flat file. At least that would tell you where a given client was in the code just before it crashed and might help you narrow down where the problem lies.

Also, are there any unusual messages in the database log or in the client's Windows event logs at the times of the crashes?

jmac13

Well I can't find any protraces heres my startup params:

Code:
-d dmy
-D 500
-crc
-T c:\temp-tables\
-TB 30
-TM 30
-Bt 60000
-mmax 50000
-nb 150
-Mm 8192
-s 128
-v6colon
-rereadnolock 
-h 13
-inp 8192 
-Wa 
-wpp

@Rob: No thats whats making it harder I can't reproduce the crash just bombs out when the customer is using it. Right I'll see if i can see anything on knowledge base for statement catching thing. Cant see anything in the db log I'm waiting on the windows log

LarryD

One of Rob's original questions is still unanswered... have you looked in the database log file ( <dbname>.lg ) or in the Windows event logs ?

jmac13

I'm prob being dense but I can't see the Status display under R&D when I do a promon. All I get is T. 2pc transactions control, L. Resolve 2pc Limbo transactions, C. 2pc coordinator information, J. resolve JTA Transactions, M. modify Defaults and Q. Quit

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
From the promon main menu, type:
  • R&D<enter>
  • 1<enter> (Status menu)
  • 18<enter> (statement caching)
If you review the presentation I linked to it should get you started.

jmac13

Thanks rob, I'm looking at the link.. just couldnt work out how to get to the bit it was talking about.. was being dense didn't realize that R&D was a option:p