Problem connecting to OpenEdge 10.2B Server using ODBC

martinpg2001

Hi _ I am new to Progress OpenEdge, so apologies if this is a simple question. I have installed OpenEdge 10.2B on a Windows 2003 Server. On this same machine, I want to define an ODBC source to connect to this server. Here is what I do:

1. Start Administrative Tools -> Datasources (ODBC).
2. Click System DSN.
3. Click Add, scroll down to select the OpenEdge 10.2B driver, and click Finish.
4. Enter a datasource name, enter the host name of this machine, enter 2055 for the port number, the name of a database I have created in openEdge, and then click Test Connect.

I see the following dialog box: [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Connection refused ... ErrNum = 10038

At this point, I don't know how to diagnose what the problem is - is some service that should be running not installed or running? Or have I entered the wrong port number (I tried a couple of others such as 2050 and 20932, but don't know how to identify which the correct port number should be.

Thanks for any help! Martin

martinpg2001

Hi - I have done several searches, but don't have a clear picture how the OpenEdge server is architected. It looks to me as though I have the right ODBC driver installed, but how can I check which port number I should use, and what service should be running? I'm sure that these are simple questions, but I am new to Progress.

martinpg2001

OK, thanks - I'm not sure what starting the database in multi-user mode means (did I mention that I was new to Progress?), but here's what I did - is this correct?

1. I opened up a console window and navigated to the directory (E:\OpenEdge\WRK) in which there is a database file called QAProgress1.db (I created this yesterday through the Data Administration tool).
2. I then ran the following command and see the following output:

E:\OpenEdge\WRK>E:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\proserve QAProgress1 -S 9999 -m3
OpenEdge Release 10.2B as of Mon Dec 14 17:02:01 EST 2009
11:26:00 SRV This broker will terminate when session ends. (5405)
11:26:00 SRV 1: Login by Administrator on CON:. (452)
11:26:00 BROKER 1: Started for 9999 using TCP IPV4 address 0.0.0.0, pid 3328. (5644)

3. I then opened up the ODBC tool again, and changed the port number to 9999, and tried to connect again.

This time, I was successful! I will have to sepnd a little time to see if I can interact with the database as an ODBC source, but this may be all I need. One thing I can't work out is how to run proserve as a service so that I don't have to keep this command window open. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help! Martin

vinod_home

You are trying to things that you dont understand, that would work if you were writing a "hello world" program. But here you are trying to do a trial and error with a complete ABL and database. I would suggest that you get some training or do a bunch of reading (you can find documents and manuals within psdn or progress website).

Maybe if you understood what Progress/OpenEdge is all about, you may not take the approach that you trying to accomplish.
If you still want to configure odbc connection, then check the document thats available here http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-4108

HTH

Stefan

You do not want to be running proserve manually.

1. Ensure the Progress OpenEdge AdminService is running (by default this is installed as a Windows service).
2. connect to the AdminService using either:
2a. OpenEdge Explorer (included in 10.2B installer) by going to http://<server>:9090
2b. Progress Explorer Tool (older)
3. add a pointer to your database in the database section. You can configure everything you need for your database here - autostart, location, port numbers, memory etc

Now when your machine restarts, the AdminService will start and this in turn will autostart your database.