proadsv but where

JustMe

I am trying to connect to proadsv from a windows proexp12 application. I tried both the creators UID and the SYSPROGRESS (both cap and lower) the actual PW of the creators ID and a "fake" and the sysprogress with a space, blank and a fake password. I am not sure where to go from here.

The error is:
Unable to connect to Admin Server. Ensure Admin Server is running.

Yes I opened the firewall, and started proadsv -start

For the location I am using the IP address (10.100.10.200) port 20931 The ip works for either brokers, on the production DB, (4gl and SQL) with the correct port number.

Next question is there a name for the proadsv?

Stefan

You do not want to be using the progress explorer to connect to the AdminServer since it relies on the Microsoft JVM which is no longer available on newer machines (Vista and up). On the other hand, since your client is XP, it should work. SYSPROGRESS is not an AdminServer user but a back door SQL92 DBA user. You should be able to connect with the SLES user that installed Progress (probably root).

When installing 10.2B you are given the option to install the 'OpenEdge Explorer' this is a web interface for the AdminServer which replaces the Progress Explorer client tool, by default it listens on port 9090. So go to URL http://machine:9090 with your web browser.

JustMe

Re: OK Stefan but

Stefan, you must think I know more than I do :-O. Does the proadsv need to run? I didn't get to set up this environment so how can I find out if 'OpenEdge Explorer' was added? How do I find out if the AdminServer is running. I do have OEE on my PC but the creator (root) UID and PW did not let me into the server. Do I need something other than "proadsv -start" to start the AdminServer?

Thanks ...

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor

In proenv you can type proadsv -query to determine if the admin server is alive. If it is and the Admin Service for OpenEdge (in Windows Services) is running you should be good to go.

If you go to http://localhost:9090 and the Admin Server is running, you should get a login prompt. Try user name admin, password progress.

Attachments

• login.png
    login.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 30

JustMe

Thanks for the try, but I still cannot connect, tried, on the DB server with localhost:9090, on my windoze (windows) box IPADDRESS:9090 and with progress exploder IPADDRESS (explorer) with port 20931 admin with pw progress is a no-go ... :'(

RealHeavyDude

You posted another thread, IMHO basically about the same ...
Did you have look into the knowledge base article about Admin Server security and how it relates to the group checking feature that you can chose during installation?

I believe that in your installation group checking is enabled and therefore you need to check whether the accounts and groups are existing in the OS as the Admin Server expects it. Therefore, if it is switched on you should not blame Progress but the person that opted to have it enabled during installation without understanding what she/he was opting for ...

On a note: I don't like this group checking thing - not one bit. And, I never enable it unless I am forced to do so. But that is another discussion ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

Just forgot, the Progress Exploder has a built-in feature that is just really nice, and, AFAIK it's Progress Exploder only ...

Given that group checking on the Admin Server is not enabled ...

When running on Windows and you are trying to connect to the Admin Server running on the same Windows machine: Use the account that you are logged in with and leave the password blank and you should be able to connect. The explanation that I once got from a Progress representative is, that they though if you already logged into the system why should you be forced to enter the password a second time - poor man's single sign on so to speak.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

JustMe

"You posted another thread, IMHO basically about the same ...
Did you have look into the knowledge base article about Admin Server security and how it relates to the group checking feature that you can chose during installation?"

RHD, you do not answer my questions!!! you just tell us that the database is not a SQL database and do we check elsewhere. You have jumped (replied) into specific questions, answered nothing and move on ... Are you paid by the reply?

YES I DID CHECK KB about ADMIN SERVER SECURITY" it suggested creator UID. IT DIDN"T WORK SO I AM STUCK...

hope you heard this RHD, yes I was shouting about this.

Wow, I guess I was wrong, you did answer part of my question, thanks (Took a second try, I didn't see it until after my rant).

JustMe

True, but you only get to slap me twice. :)
slap me I'll turn the other cheek, but then it doesn't say what to do ...

Rob Fitzpatrick it seems you try to help out the people you answer. You have helped me quite a bit. Thanks and don't take offense, RHD seems to quip without consideration frequently, I am at this forum because I do not know progress, I try to find things in the KB or documents, I seem to fail this endeavor now and then. Thanks for all the help and hopefully help in the future.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I completely understand your frustration, but please try to refrain from ranting and shouting at other users. We're all volunteers helping each other out. Thanks.