printing to EPSON printer from MFG

mosfin

i'm using MfgPro eB2.1 in NETUI, on Redhat Linux Server, and am having problems printing to local(windows) EPSON Stylus T27 printer, it prints very very slow....
the printer manual says it can print up to 26 ppm (draft mode) but prints 1-2 actually (the application sends text only, no graphics)

i've read EPSON's T27 programming manual, and found that before each print job
i should send init command to "Exit Packet Mode" (whatever it means)
and the init string is(in hex): 00H 00H 00H 1BH 01H etc...

the problem is that i cannot enter the NULL (00H) characters in Printer Setup menu (36.13.2) when i enter /000 its simply removed by the application
i know there is "Initialize Command" but the Linux server does not know windows local printer devices... how can i send this init string to the windows local printer from Linux ?

vinod_home

What happens when you print a document from a desktop to the printer, does it print faster. Do you see the slowness only from MFG.

Are the times consistent when you,
1. Print from a desktop to the printer
2. Print a file/document from Linux to the printer
3. Print from MFG

HTH

mosfin

few facts about my environment:
1)the printer connected to my Window XP client PC on USB port, i cannot make it as
default, due to another USB specialized label printer which is the windows default)
2) the MFGPRO (eB2.1) server is Linux (RHEL) and we are using .NET UI
3) in .NET UI, i have 2 ways to print reports to that EPSON :

3.a) print 1st to page/screen (and it shows on screen as web page) there i click Ctrl-P
which brings Windows/IE Print Dialog Box to select the local printer,
somehow this prints much faster, but not as fast as i expect (26ppm by the manual)
(i think Internet Explorer prints everything as graphics, thats why)
anyhow, i cannot use this method, since i don't want MFG user to select the printer
everytime he prints the report (i want MFG to print automatically to EPSON)

3.b) define the EPSON printer in MFGPRO's Printer Setup menu, where i can setup:
printer local/shared name, init string (except the damn NULL chars)
and also in Printer Default menu, i can setup this EPSON as default printer for
specific reports, this is my preferred way, but also where i experience the slowness
(even though that in this way the stream going to printer is text only, and should print faster than Desktop/IE graphics print mode)

from Linux, actually from Microsft Telnet window (if i use MFG CHUI)
i don't know how to print to this local printer (which is not the windows default)

P.S: i think i also tried to print from Windows Notepad to this printer,
and it prints as slow as in MFG (using the 2nd method, i.e. printing directly to the printer)

vinod_home

You should look into putting the printer on the network using a print server, that will let you install drivers on Linux and print large reports in batch mode to the printer directly.

Have you enabled spooling, with MFG and your printer setup on windows?

mosfin

here are the spooling properties from Windows : (see attached image)
can you point out the procedure how to configure the Linux server to print to Windows local/shared printer ?
suppose i gave this printer a share name name in windows... what next ?

Attachments

• epson.png
    epson.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 38