".PI" file extension .. anyone??

rzr

Hello All,

Has anyone ever come across a progress file with with extension ".pi" ?? I have many programs in my source dir that are .pi files. They are all structured programs / libraries written using AppBuilder.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The .p convention is just that, a convention. Compile a file with any extension or even no extension and it becomes a .r just fine. People have used other extensions for a variety of reasons over the years. One is to keep a file from being automatically compiled by a tool, like OEA, which will compile all .p files. There are a variety of reasons to want to keep them from being compiled, most commonly that they don't compile as they sit, but need run time arguments to complete them so that they are compiled on the fly. The other idea is that some "clever" person thought these were code fragments which could either be run on their own or included in other code. My sympathies if that is true.

rzr

Thanks tamhas,

These programs don't take any runtime arguments. They are more like libraries containing specific functions & procedures. I don't see a reason why they saved it with .pi - your assumptions may be true :( .. the clever one's who wrote it long long time ago are no longer here... so i will never know... but thanks anyways.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Search the code for where they are executed. Perhaps it is someone's "clever" designating for a persistent procedure.