OpenEdge seminar

jakke

Hi Everybody,

I am searching for an OpenEdge 10.x seminar in West/Central/East-Europe taking place before October 2007. (Preferrably 3-5 days for technical audiance) Can anybody advise me one or post some interesting links where i can check what are my options?

Thx a lot cause nor progress.com nor Google is giving me anything suitable.

Cheers,
Jakke

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
i don't know exactly what seminars you're shopping for, openedge 10 is a pretty general description.

but theres the emea progress technology world (ptw) expo around september, that also has hands on work shops.

ptw 2007 details has not been posted yet, but you could have a look at the exchange 2007 workshops to give you an idea.

http://www.progress.com/exchange/2007/workshop_descriptions/index.ssp

Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery Forum
1:00pm – 5:00pm on Sunday, 10 June
US$99
Do you have a plan for recovering your systems from a power loss? A flood? Loss of network connectivity? How do you keep your business running in situations like this? The Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery Forum is designed for anyone deploying and managing production environments. During this session you’ll be exposed to a range of technical challenges faced when planning for today’s disasters. And, you’ll gain unique insight into the variety of technology options available. You’ll walk away with the confidence that you have taken everything into account to ensure a valid disaster recovery plan for your complete application. Discover best practices from customers who've made the kinds of decisions you're facing and lessons learned from building successful plans. A panel of experts will address your questions on disaster planning as you determine how your plans can make an impact on your company's bottom line.
Hands-on Workshops
Learn firsthand about functionality in OpenEdge 10 and Sonic during these intense, hands-on workshops. Brought to you by Progress Software Developers Network (PSDN), these workshops enable you to interact directly with the experts. Progress developers and architects will be on hand to guide you through tutorials as you roll up your sleeves and delve into the latest features.

A Day in the Life of a DBA
8:00am – 12:00pm, Sunday, 10 June
1:00pm – 5:00pm, Sunday, 10 June
US$199

OpenEdge provides many functions oriented to the care and well being of the database. Existing features improve upon the quick maintenance of a 24x7 database while the database is running. Functionality exists to monitor production databases and keep them operating at peak efficiency. Capabilities for synchronous and asynchronous replication to a standby database assist in disaster recovery and enhance reporting capabilities. And, auditing features offer security administrators expanded oversight of user activities within the database. During this workshop you’ll get unique insight into existing functionality as well as the additions and improvements that every DBA should know and use.

Building an OERA Implementation
US$199

The OpenEdge Reference Architecture (OERA) is the foundation for achieving flexibility and consistency while architecting OpenEdge-based business applications. In this hands-on workshop, we will review architecture concepts, components, reference designs, and example implementations. You’ll go through a simple process of producing business functionality within an OERA-based implementation. Through discussion and examples, you’ll realize the added benefits of following the OERA guidelines and how the architecture can help you extend the reach of your application functionality. At the conclusion of this workshop, you will have a better understanding of the OERA, its benefits, how features in OpenEdge 10 make it easier to implement an application based on OERA, and how you can begin to apply these concepts to your application design. Knowledge of OpenEdge 10 is not needed but will be an advantage. Knowledge and understanding of the OpenEdge AppServer is recommended.

Exploring OpenEdge Architect Workshop
US$199

OpenEdge Architect is an integrated development environment designed for building business applications using an architected, business-logic centric approach. OpenEdge Architect simplifies application development by providing a configurable workspace. Whether a developer, DBA, or architect, the user has a palette of task-appropriate tools that can be easily configured and used. During this beginner-level workshop you’ll get the opportunity to learn and use key features of OpenEdge Architect including:
  • Project-based development and workspace configuration
  • Managing databases with the DB Navigator
  • Source code development
  • Integrated Debugger functionality
  • Impact analysis with the Meta Catalog
Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming in OpenEdge
$199

OpenEdge includes significant extensions to the language that allow you to code application objects using an object-oriented development model. These new class-based objects can coexist in the same application and communicate with procedure-based objects (persistent procedures). Support includes inheritance, polymorphism, delegation, interfaces, and overloading plus so much more. Learn about these extensions while using Blackjack as the example topic. With hands-on exposure, you will discover how to:
  • Design and define classes using data members, properties, methods, interfaces and casting to support object-oriented application models
  • Design for inheritance, encapsulation, polymorphism and delegation
  • Create and use objects to work with existing ABL applications
  • Error handling and debugging
OpenEdge and Sonic: I’ll Believe it when I do it!
US$199

In this hands-on workshop, OpenEdge developers/architects who are unfamiliar with Sonic products will be introduced to a variety of options for solving integration problems using SonicMQ and Sonic ESB. This workshop not only includes architectural discussions centered on OpenEdge/Sonic ESB integration options but, also, provides specific guidance on how to select one option over another. Armed with this knowledge, you will begin to visualize how your current OpenEdge architecture can benefit from Sonic integration and confidently bring these ideas back to your own organization.

jakke

Hi Joey,

Thx for your reply. The pwt 2006 turned out too expensive for my company (because when we wanted to book it was too close to end of fiscal year, i'm sure you know what i mean ;-) )
I know my description is a bit vague but it may be anything going from predatasets over appservers, sonic, links with .Net... anything technologic i could learn from as being a developer. Currently my corp comp is stuck using Dynamics 1.1A and Progress 9.1E but hopefully 1 day they will take the jump towards something less prehistoric...

So if you or anybody else knows about some 3 up to 5 days seminar somewhere in Europe please keep it posted.

Many thanks,

Jakke

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
it may not be the latest and greatest but i certainly don't think it's prehistoric. i also think that coming from dynamics and adm the transition to oera would be much easier.

you could take advantage of the early bird prices and save a few hundred dollars if it helps, but registration hasn't even started yet.

progress also offers a pretty comprehensive educational curriculum, instructor led classes, web based training etc.

http://www.progress.com/openedge/services/education/index.ssp

there are also other well known companies and consultants that offer classes and on-site training on progress tech, architecture modernization etc.

of course theres also amazon.com :)