Answered OEUnit and other unit test frameworks

b-707

Hello.

What would you recommend for unit testing?

We use OpenEdge Architect.

P.S. Tried to deploy OEUnit - it doesn't compile my test class :-( Don't see any obvious reason, because when I compile it of the IDE it compiles.

GregTomkins

This (IMHO) is one of the biggest downsides to Progress ... all of the things you get in abundance and for free in Java/.NET Land ... like xUnit, mocking, CheckStyle, FXCop, etc... are mostly nowhere to be found. On the other hand, there are so many of those tools out there and of such massively divergent quality ... it might be a net saving...

b-707

This (IMHO) is one of the biggest downsides to Progress ... all of the things you get in abundance and for free in Java/.NET Land ... like xUnit, mocking, CheckStyle, FXCop, etc... are mostly nowhere to be found. On the other hand, there are so many of those tools out there and of such massively divergent quality ... it might be a net saving...

It's sad :-(

RealHeavyDude

I can only agree with you. I really love the ABL and the OpenEdge product suite as a whole, but I do think that most peripheral support in the software development life cycle that exists in other technologies due to a large developer community and many open source projects are missing for us. Now spending half of my time in Java development and one half in OpenEdge, I can understand as to why so many developers that are starting with the ABL are getting frustrated because they miss so much support that they are used to use just naturally.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Even sadder, though, is that there are a number of tools out there and people aren't using them.

b-707

Just wanted to share our findings.

OEUnit - pretty tool, integreted with OEA. A bit finicky (sometimes fails to compile from whatever reason), but works. You have to create testing class to work with. The point is that it looks like the project was abandoned a while ago and the source code doesn't compile (we had to fix it). The second point is that we didn't find a way to run this tool from the command line.

ProUnit - looks a bit simplier, but still does the work. You can run it both from the GUI (which is not integrated with the OEA, but you can run it from there) and command line. It is possible to integrate the ProUnit task with Apache Ant, using the PCT which allows to run tests upon scheduled building.

OEUnit
ProUnit
Apache Ant
PCT

Enjoy.

iaforek

Just wanted to share our findings.

OEUnit - pretty tool, integreted with OEA. A bit finicky (sometimes fails to compile from whatever reason), but works. You have to create testing class to work with. The point is that it looks like the project was abandoned a while ago and the source code doesn't compile (we had to fix it). The second point is that we didn't find a way to run this tool from the command line.

I'm in the process of automating some tasks in OpenEdge and I have successfully integrated OEUnit with OpenEdge Architect. I've been also looking for integration with PCT and this is possibly one of solutions:
Search for: "Require command line invoker that logs results to a file" - on OEHive it is node 1881 (unfortunately I can't post a link on this forum :()
At the bottom of the page there is a modified OEUnit 1.1 that has example how to use it together with PCT.

Bastien

Hi, just to say that OEUnit has been improved to work with PCT since version 1.3.
Here comes the example of ANT/PCT build file from the OpenHive discussion. And yes, it works :)

Attachments

• build.zip
    505 bytes · Views: 14