Question OCX/Dll

jmac13

Hi All (I'm using 10.2b),

Currently our system works like this: We will install a progress client on a customers machine and they look at a shared drive that’s on a server with all our .r’s on. so they can run the system. In some of our programs we have a third party control VPE(Virtual Print Engine) from idealsoftware. So for this to work on the clients machine we would copy the ocx files and dll files into say the system32 folder and register the ocx by using the regsvr32 command.

We now have a new version of this control and my question is why do we register the ocx on the customers machine? I understand that this is the control and is needed when loaded in to perform the tasks. We currently load the control into a control-frame.

Can you just point at the dll (which would be on the shared drive) to run the procedures in there rather than needing the registering the ocx?

I’ve seen this thread (see below) on this forum which someone runs procedures via the dll. But I wondering if I’m getting the wrong end of the stick would it be best if I looked at the Shared Library and DLL Support?

Code:
http://www.progresstalk.com/threads/vpe-and-openedge.113412/

Thanks

if you want to use a dll/ocx without the need to register it you can use a manifest file (WinSxs) in which you store the information that is normally in the registry

Here is a link with more information:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-by-side_assembly