Not a Symix user but have a question

franklin1232

We use a package from Epicor called Vantage which runs on the progress platform. But my question is about Symix because our controller used Symix in a previous life and swears that he wrote less than 10 lines of code in Symix that changed all of his unwanted part numbers and all of there related records to a dummy part number. He wants me to do the same in Vantage. The only way I think I can accomplish this is with a 4GL procedure, but it will take way more than 10 lines of code. Does Symix have some sort of development tools or scripting language. Maybe some business logic with functions that would make this easy.

Thanks

cecsno

franklin1232 said:
We use a package from Epicor called Vantage which runs on the progress platform. But my question is about Symix because our controller used Symix in a previous life and swears that he wrote less than 10 lines of code in Symix that changed all of his unwanted part numbers and all of there related records to a dummy part number. He wants me to do the same in Vantage. The only way I think I can accomplish this is with a 4GL procedure, but it will take way more than 10 lines of code. Does Symix have some sort of development tools or scripting language. Maybe some business logic with functions that would make this easy.

Thanks
I think your controller is being a bit optimistic on the 10 lines, and the Symix "Application" will NOT let you do exactly as you describe, it let's you do a mass substitution of items through the Engineering Change Notice system ECN which performs the versioning of BOMS and the like.

If you're going to cheat the system you have do do it in the 4gl and you have to be complete in your identification of an ITEM and the aliases of ITEM

franklin1232

He claimed it was possible because the company he worked for owned source code. I don't see how that would help. Plus if it can't be easily done now I would imagine 8 years ago it would have been very difficult.

cecsno

franklin1232 said:
He claimed it was possible because the company he worked for owned source code. I don't see how that would help. Plus if it can't be easily done now I would imagine 8 years ago it would have been very difficult.

The earlier the version of Symix the easier it would be to do. If you've ever seen Symix source code, it doesn't make it much easier. The ecn mass substitue consists of 2 .p's and 3 .i's not counting the lib .i's, menu and everything else.